Sign in to follow this  
ReelLifeOnline

State Record Broken

This article was in my local news the other day. I am new to fishing and I was wondering what a "combination butterfish-squid bait" was. Anyone?

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/12/07

Joseph Sanzone became the state's newest record-holder, when the Pompton Lakes resident's 18-pound, 7-ounce gray tilefish was confirmed as a state record late last week.

Sanzone was bottom fishing on Sept. 9 in Toms Canyon when he hooked into the gray tilefish, which hit a combination butterfish-squid bait.

The fish measured 35 inches long with a 24-inch girth. Sanzone had a St. Croix rod and a Penn reel with 65-pound test.

The gray tilefish is typically found in depths of 200-1,400 feet. Usually found south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, they live in burrows and sometimes congregate in small groups. The previous N.J. record for gray tilefish was set in 2001, for a 10-pound, 9-ounce fish caught at the Sea Girt Reef.

Guest btlva

Welcome to the forum!

A butterfish is a small, shiny ocean-run baitfish. Sounds like the guy put a piece of butterfish and a piece of squid on the same hook to catch that tilefish. There have been alot of tilefish records broken recently, makes me want to go try to catch one! Tight lines

Known as a "Cuttyhunk Chunk", you pack the tube of the squid with the Butterfish and sew the tube partially shut (works like a chum bag).  Another common way to combine them is to thread them down to the hook, butterfish first, and then slide down the squid so it looks like the squid is trying to eat or carry the butterfish.

Thanks! I guess that's logical, but I never thought of it before. I just watched one of your videos. It looks so different on a lake. I am used to the waves of the ocean and big commercial boats.

I grew up and still live on the Ocean (Rhode Island---But I hear you know this already,lol)

different world, same passion (fresh/salt)

Many things transfer or translate but they are 2 different worlds for sure

Guest muddy

They fish for tile fish off the Hudson Cayoon outta NY also. They use electric reels b/c they are so deep!

HaHa! I did hear that through the grapevine! I also heard you are trying to get rid of me! Obviously my business is my profile, but I am really trying to learn. I sit in front of a computer all day and yet I work about three blocks from the ocean. I work too much to go there  and learn hands on so this is my research.

My business partner has been in the business for 19 years and is an avid fisherman. I am just trying to educate myself to keep up. I've been fishing a few times, but I have never caught a darn thing! I am trying!

I've been fishing a few times, but I have never caught a darn thing! I am trying!

You're hanging with the wrong group of guys ;)

(btw-nice pup :))

Thanks! She is a supermodel.... the Naomi Campell of supermodels... She's fiesty. She is an amazing swimmer though. There is a lake by my house and I let her go in and she just goes nuts.  I would love to see if she could catch a fish in her mouth. I bet she could. She's quick and her teeth are deadly. She's pure and has a lot of that wolf in her.

post-10878-13016297044_thumb.jpg

Guest btlva

Yeah that is a really pretty dog, or should I say supermodel.

I think the reason so many tilefish records are being broken is because fishermen now have all the right gear to catch them with, including braided lines and electric reels, and more people are going after them than ever. Charter captains have realized that deep-drop fishing trips can be very productive for clients looking for a freezer full of fish. Other deepwater species like Blueline Tilefish, Golden Tiles, and Snowy Grouper, are also being caught in sizes and numbers like never before. So I think it's mostly a combination of having all the right equipment and alot of interest in these "new" species that haven't seen much fishing pressure over the years. Hopefully there's nothing in the water mutating them but stranger things have happenned! Tight lines

Thanks! She is a supermodel.... the Naomi Campell of supermodels... She's fiesty. She is an amazing swimmer though. There is a lake by my house and I let her go in and she just goes nuts. I would love to see if she could catch a fish in her mouth. I bet she could. She's quick and her teeth are deadly. She's pure and has a lot of that wolf in her.

what a goodlooking dog......beautiful!

she is a supermodel