Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Striper Set-Ups

I am looking forward to the spring-fall '08 Striper run up here in Mass. I have been usuing an 8'0" BWS Ugly Stik the past cuple of years. I bought it as a combo with a cheap 1 ball bearing shakespeare spinning reel. I have caught about a dozen stripers on it, nothing big though. This will be my 3rd season striper fishing, and still a novice, but full of zeal, I would like an upgrade in equipment. I was told my a guy at a local bait shop that the Ugly Stick Tiger Lite rods are great for pluggin for line siders and cast great. Familiar with the Ugly Stik lites for freshwater I was suprised in the difference in the Tiger series. The tigers are a lot stiffer than US Lite, which are stiffer than US Originial, but still Soft. I am looking for a good set up for topwater, jerkbaits, and possibly Bucktails and soft plastics like Gulp or Slug Gos and Power Eels.

Would you reccomend graphite or composite?

Spinning or Casting?

All info is welcome and will be appreciated.

Thanks

-Joe

IWouldn't try casting unless you're very good with a baitcaster. High winds from different directions and alot of sand to get in the parts make it troublesome sometimes. Also your apt to be doing some fishing at night or at dawn and dusk where it is difficult to see and preventing backlashes can be difficult.

For the rod what you want depends on how you'll be fishing. Will you be on jetties where power is important? Will you be hurling 3-4oz wood plugs from the sand? Or 1oz bombers? The length action and blank style depend on that. For general purpose an 8-foot is a reasonable length and a 2/2--2oz weight range covers everything but real large plugs. If you anticipate throwing those step up the weight range.

I don't know what your price range is but for the price I love Tica rods. I just love them.  I was worried the cork tape would fall off etc but so far mines held together fine and has a very nice blank especially for baitfishing. Good guides decent components great price.

http://www.ticaglobal.com/EN/AM/PR_Rods_A.ASP?MODELNO=SURF&TYPE=UEHA

That's all you need to start right there. Look at the lures you plan to throw and pick the appropriate weight range. Keep the length simple around 8 -8'6" to start. 424401 or 524401. Go with a mod fast action. Mines fast and its sort of a pool cue (real good for baitfishing but not best for casting plugs).

As for the reel-Well if you can find a reasonably priced spinning real that doesn't have occasional fits surf fishing let me know. I don't know what your price range is. Go for a metal-framed reel. Get one that can hold a reasonable amount of your chosen line weight (I use 14lb test). My buddy has an old shimano stradic that's held up pretty well. The best I have is an ancient Mitchell. The things a tank. Plfueggers and Okumas have had drag issues with me. Sands gotten in them and they tighten when the drag goes out. Yes... the drag tightens when its pulled out so the more the fish runs the tighter the drag gets. I can clean it out but it has completely shaken my confidence in them. It's very heart breaking to lose a big bass that way. And you know they're big because they're pulling drag until it tightens down on itself and they break off.  I take pretty good care of my stuff- it only took like 10 grains of sand in both of them. Ok rants over. A metal-bodied penn spinfisher might be a good choice but a bit expensive.

Check out surf talk forum at stripers online about the reel they know alot more than I do.... sorry if it's against the rules to promote other forums but he asked a question that can be better answered by another site that specializes in the area. They might try and convince you need a Van Staal but set your price limit and be firm.

Anywho that's what I'd buy as a first "serious" set up.

Good fishing