Sign in to follow this  
BassFishingMachine

Black Crappie/Carp catch

Hey, just got back from a good day of fishing at the local pond, went out for about an hour and caught 8-10 black crappie and a nice 18 inch grass carp. All were caught using a yellow Trout Magnet. I have two questions though.

First is what are some good artificial baits this time of the year for black crappie. Take into consideration the crappie im catching are pretty small, and there are very few good size crappie in this pond, so small baits are prefered.

My second question is, is it normal to catch a carp on a bait like a Trout Magnet? Or did I get lucky because it was yellow and he thought it was a peice of corn or something?

By the way, man you shoulda seen that fight the carp gave, I was using a 5foot 6inch ultralight setup with 4lb mono. Absolutely beautiful fight, he kept making long runs and everytime I got him close he would power up again and the fight would start all over. It was great, thats why I ask if this is normal for a carp to take a Trout Magnet, cause if it is I'll target them with these baits.