Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Ice fishing

This one is aimed at all the Northern Boys like me who are stuck in the cold, snowy northern states. Who's Ice fishing yet??? I haven't been yet, and to be quite honest I only went a couple times last year, which was my first year walking on water  ;)

The ponds froze early this year, around mid decemeber, where as last year they did not freeze until mid january. The ice hasn't really been thick or safe enough to fish on as we have had some warm highs in the upper 30's lately. Today looks like a change, the high is 15* and the low tonight is going to be 7*. This should freeze the water over nice and thick, and maybe with some luck it will stay below freezing for most of the days so I can get out and get a fishing fix.

Post your catches or outings so I have something to read    :D

Tight Lines.  ;)

only been out once so far. went out on long pond off rt 122 in rutland last sunday. i went with my sister and her boyfriend, they're my fishing buddies. we caught 5 bass, the biggest around 1lb, 3 perch which were all decent sized for around here, and 1 pickerel.

with the exception of spots near or around channels, the ice was between 5" and 7" thick at each hole.

the ice isnt safe here yet. it was for a day or so, but then heavy snow made ice iffy, and it was really cold for a week, it might have been safe for another day, but now it is about 40 degrees, and everything is melting. Im never going to get to go ice fishing...

I live in North East Wisconsin about 45 miles south of the U.P. of Mich. border.  Me and the wife go out ice fishing here and there.  Haven't been out yet this year.  There has been plenty of ice, and guys were driving around with their trucks.

The last couple of days stunk with the warm weather and rain.  It's 36 at 4:30pm and raining.  Some say Global Warming?  I always called it a January thaw??  It is going to cool off in a day or so, then I can try out my new Big Buddie heater that I got for Christmas. :)

Tell the truth though, I would just as soon be in my canoe fishing instead of looking down a hole.

I went out 3 times this year already. I live in Northeast PA but I have to travel about an hour away to get on some good ice. The ice here is 2 inches thick up the line where I go it was 7-9. I dont go on anything less then 4 but that is just me. So far ice fishing this year I caught 6 pickeral 2 bass bunch of perch. 1 legal bass 18 inch pickeral tiny perch.

I hope you guys don't think I'm jackin' this thread, but I see there are some perch fishermen here..,so here is a question.

I fish a 50 acre gin clear lake that runs about 70 feet deep.  There are some real big perch there, along with a ton of small gills, a few walleyes, and bass.

The west side of the lake has a small shallow flat with weeds.  The east side has another small flat mostly sand.  The rest has a fairly fast drop with a weed line down to about 16 feet.

So I want the perch.  What do you think?

Perch school up and stay in the same general area for a period of time. Same size perch run together also. Honestly what my buddies do is they have underwater cameras. They keep drilling hole after hole and putting the camera down looking for perch. Then they take their jigging rods and go to work. Those cameras are amazing for panfish. It is neat to see your jig fly to the bottom then raise it up and watch on the camera twitch twitch twitch (fish sucks it up) then the fish goes flying out of picture. I dont know how much oxygen is down 70 feet. If you have no intention of getting a camera jig multible holes on that foot area weed line. Basically when you find them you find them. Good luck!

i went out on sunday with two friends and between the 3 of us we caught 20+ perch and at least 10 pickerel. we were on a smaller lake though. we set up in the middle and just spaced our holes out all over because there was no one else on the ice. there aren't any bass in the lake we were at though, just perch and pickerel, and it wasn't that deep, maybe 8-10 feet at most. we were setting the shiners down about 3-3 1/2 feet.

and like robby said, perch school up, so if you hit one on a tip-up, pull him in, let him go and drop a jig in the hole, you're bound to catch a couple more.

No ice yet here in PA....

Hope it stays that way! ::)

We have plenty of ice as usual here in northern MI. I haven't been out yet. I plan to go out in a couple weeks for my yearly attempt. I will go out punch a million holes, have a few sodas, freeze my tail off and catch nothing. Like every other year. This year I will be freezing on deer lake by Boyne Mountain if anyone has any tips or knowledge of this lake.