Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Mick

A Weekend with Kevin Short

Guys,

I wanted to share a quick note about how I spent this weekend. Some of you may know Kevin Short as one of the anglers on the Bassmaster Elite Series. (Some of you may also simply know him as that guy who wears the pink sunglasses and rides around in a pink/camo-wrapped boat.) In the course of following Quinn around this spring, I've gotten to know Kevin and his wife. They're really good people, and Kevin is one of the hardest working guys out there.

In 2004, while Kevin was fishing one of the BASS events, he and his wife got a phone call no parent should ever receive. Their only daughter Michelle, a freshman walk-on player on the University of Central Arkansas softball team, had been tragically killed in a car accident.

The following year, the Short family established a scholarship fund in Michelle's name, and held a fishing tournament near their home in Arkansas. One of the unique aspects of the tournament is the emphasis on getting adults fishing with kids (fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, aunts and nephews, you get the idea). In the past few years, they've contributed a significant amount to the UCA fund, which specifically benefits a freshman walk-on softball player, just as Michelle was.

Yesterday, 119 boats launched from Lake Dardanelle State Park to participate in this year's Michelle Short Scholarship Fund Fishing Tournament. (I lugged my video gear to the event to shoot a video for Kevin's website.) A mess of fish were caught, and everyone had a great time. But now all of us have a opportunity of our own to participate.

I've seen Kevin's wife at registration for a handful of Elite events carrying a giant replica Heddon Lucky 13 lure. (The number 13 is significant, as that was Michelle's jersey number.) She's had all 109 of the Elite anglers autograph the huge lure, and now it's up on Ebay to raise money for the scholarship fund. There's a week or so left in the auction, so I figured I'd post a link and let any interested anglers bid for themselves.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320258077913

Cheers!

SM

That is sad what happened with his daughter, but I am glad there is some good coming from it. On another note that sig with the popper on the mouth of the bait is awesome ! I think it is rowland's.