Sign in to follow this  
Bass Dude

Is now the time??

With the situation that has come up with BASS---Is now the time to get the talks going to combine FLW and BASS?  FLW seems to be more stable as far as their sponsors go.  If you combine the financial support of remaining BASS sponsors with FLW, maybe there would be enough money for the fisherman to actually make a living.  More importantly the combined circuit may actually be able to survive this and other economic downturns.  It might be time for all involved to swallow their pride and combine forces.  Another side benefit would be that we would finally have ONE tour with the best fisherman/fisherwomen in it.

FLW is fine but BASS isn't worth what ESPN has been trying to sell it for.

The FLW is growing because BASS is droping the ball on a lot of issues.  I don't really see why the FLW would want to join up with BASS.  Alot of the anglers have either made the switch to the FLW or are fishing both.  Just think some people thought Luke Clauson was crazy a few years back for not fishing with BASS after the classic.  Did he know something or was he pressured?

Keep an eye on the PAA circuit to see where it is headed. It's run by the fishermen and has all the big names from both the FLW and BASS. There's only four tourneys this year but it's future is bright if they market it correctly. As a matter of fact, I believe they're at Lake Toho this weekend for the first tourney of the year.

All this stuff worries me....I understand the economy sucks, and I know all sports rely on sponsorship dollars, but none to the extent that BASS and FLW do except for probably nascar. The other issue that nascar ran into was turning their backs on their core fan bases and embracing big money corporate types who only cared what went on for a couple of years.  I know its tough to change and evolve, but I think even more important than toughing out the downturn portion of our economic business cycle is to not forget who got you there in the first place.

It's not that they would "join" BASS, as somone wrote, as much as overtake BASS!  I equate this to when they combined the old AFL with the NFL.  They wouldn't have survived on their own, each had different rules, player and fans, much like the two fishing circuits. I think it could work.  It would take a lot of reorganization, but that's why those execs get the big bucks :o!!!

Good point on the PAA's.  They could be the "sleeper" tour and end up being the only survivor!!