Sign in to follow this  
HOIST-N-HAWGS

Keeping us in the Dark

I need some feed back from other club members. I'm feeling a bit TICKED OFF! and kept in the dark.

My club is in Rhode Island and they have known about the new RI reg's (for quite some time now) trying to be passed that would mandate Tourny hours between 8PM and 12 noon the next day as well as mandating that all organized fishing events must submit all registrants info 72 hours prior to the event. We just had an open and only had 5 inline registrations and everyone else paid at the ramp. How would a club possibly get those participants info to DEM? We (club members) were never informed yet they have known the whole time. They, thanks to someother clubs posting on the internet will only now be addressing it the night before the meeting and deadline for letters of opposition??? :-/ I joined a club so I could be kept abreast of the politcal aspects that I would otherwise not know about. I am about 90% ready to drop out of this club feeling betrayed.

I need some feed back from other club members. I'm feeling a bit TICKED OFF! and kept in the dark.

My club is in Rhode Island and they have known about the new RI reg's (for quite some time now) trying to be passed that would mandate Tourny hours between 8PM and 12 noon the next day as well as mandating that all organized fishing events must submit all registrants info 72 hours prior to the event. We just had an open and only had 5 inline registrations and everyone else paid at the ramp. How would a club possibly get those participants info to DEM? We (club members) were never informed yet they have known the whole time. They, thanks to someother clubs posting on the internet will only now be addressing it the night before the meeting and deadline for letters of opposition??? :-/ I joined a club so I could be kept abreast of the politcal aspects that I would otherwise not know about. I am about 90% ready to drop out of this club feeling betrayed.

Why don't you sit down with the club leadership and voice your concerns before you fly off the handle and make a rash decision that may or maynot be unwarrented? Get all of the info and then make your decision.

Why don't you sit down with the club leadership and voice your concerns before you fly off the handle and make a rash decision that may or maynot be unwarrented? Get all of the info and then make your decision.

Fly off the handle???????? Not even an option my southern friend. I'm gone as we speak,this was just the straw that broke the camels back. ;) When the vice pres is flicking his butts in the water all day and who knows what else in waters that we are suposed to be protecting for future generations, fishing 40 acre ponds w/no gas motors and 20 boats some at 30 G's that produce trout not bass and then this final straw I'm all set! :) Thanks for your input though ;)

Hey Bronzeback,

Yes, I can understand the situation.

It seems that you are not in the right "click" in the club.

It will take some time to get into the "click" and get the bennies that the leadership gives the "click" guys, but thats the way clubs operate.

Unless someone clamps down on the "click" guys.

Just understand that you need to try to hold an office or call the guys on their cell phones and talk about fishing or other adventures to get into the "click" or be accepted by the "click" members.

This can work wonders. In my club one of the "click" guys called me to ask about our tournament rules. First time he has spoken to me in a few months.

Another guy thanked me today for helping with a Kids Fishing Day. He has always acted like I never existed.  I was pleasant to him but I think he was somewhat taken back when I shunned him today. He actually went out of his way to speak to me.

So it is club politics and ignor them if possible.

The "click" guys can get away with a lot of stuff which you and I cannot get away with. In fact. our Tournament Director put everyone on notice at our last meeting that all of the infractions that were overlooked during our first three (3) tournaments will now be enforced, no matter who you are.

Talk about a reaction from some of the "click" guys.  It was funny to hear them defend themselves about things we never knew they had done.

Don't worry about the "funny" things that happen.  Just roll with the punches; keep your nose clean; and sooner or later you will be one of the "click" members.

Try to learn from everyone and to become a better bass fisherman and a good person.

Hey Bronzeback,

Yes, I can understand the situation.

It seems that you are not in the right "click" in the club.

It will take some time to get into the "click" and get the bennies that the leadership gives the "click" guys, but thats the way clubs operate.

Unless someone clamps down on the "click" guys.

Just understand that you need to try to hold an office or call the guys on their cell phones and talk about fishing or other adventures to get into the "click" or be accepted by the "click" members.

This can work wonders. In my club one of the "click" guys called me to ask about our tournament rules. First time he has spoken to me in a few months.

Another guy thanked me today for helping with a Kids Fishing Day. He has always acted like I never existed. I was pleasant to him but I think he was somewhat taken back when I shunned him today. He actually went out of his way to speak to me.

So it is club politics and ignor them if possible.

The "click" guys can get away with a lot of stuff which you and I cannot get away with. In fact. our Tournament Director put everyone on notice at our last meeting that all of the infractions that were overlooked during our first three (3) tournaments will now be enforced, no matter who you are.

Talk about a reaction from some of the "click" guys. It was funny to hear them defend themselves about things we never knew they had done.

Don't worry about the "funny" things that happen. Just roll with the punches; keep your nose clean; and sooner or later you will be one of the "click" members.

Try to learn from everyone and to become a better bass fisherman and a good person.

Hey Sam, very well explained! ;) I appreiate your sincerity.

Click's???? What clicks???? ;D I agree 100% yet,I will never be a click guy as you define it. I'm all about sharing the fun and watching the smile on someones face as they land a chunk, fishing with me or against. ,It's just a feeling that words can't describe! I don't know,maybe it brings me back to when I landed my first slob? My philosophy on sharing is not shinned upon by most. However, I do choose who I share it with very carefully i.e. someone with morals and values. Hmmmmmmmmm, does that make me a click guy? :-?Naaaah!

Anyway, the clicks and rule breaking thing is a given, you know that going in. We are all competitors at heart or we wouldn't be fishing for $$$$ or bragging rights. Putting that many ego's in one room sparks will occasionally fly. All this is acceptable yet littering is intolerable and misinformation on important political issues was the deal breaker ! :)

The scary thing is out the three replies recieved none mentioned a darn thing about the intentional littering?

Yes, littering is bad but how detailed do you want to get?

For instance, if I throw any line I cut after changing baits or checking the knot is that littering?

Or if I throw what is left of a Senko or plastic worm overboard, is that littering?

Or if I lose a crankbait in the grass, rocks, trees or bushes is that littering?

Or if I throw the rest of my sandwhich in the water, is that littering?

If so, then I am DQed as our Club rules say we are not to litter.

A smoker does not see the throwing of his butts into the water as littering. You and I do, but not smokers.

So I just shake my head, not say anything, and wait for the phone call about the guy's heart attack or that he has cancer.

Somethimes you have to go with the flow and let the problems float away by turning a blind eye to they guy polluting.

Now, any other infaction has to be reported at weigh-in.  If so, you need to ask in a nice, polite questioning tone, "Is it legal to ______?"

No matter what the reply, you can then add, "Well, I saw _____ do it and I was just wondering."

It is up to the Tournament Director to act on your input.

At our Club, we have voted on infractions after the tournament to have the Club's input and yes, we have lost a member or two but their infraction (throwing a dink on the shore or being under motor power without wearing a PFD) was major even though they did not think so.

I do not like smoking but it is a part of bass fishing and the smokers will continue to throw their butts in the water as they do not see it as pollution.  :(

Thanks guys , you are just reconfirming my reasons for not getting into organized bass fishing.

Yes, littering is bad but how detailed do you want to get?

For instance, if I throw any line I cut after changing baits or checking the knot is that littering?

Or if I throw what is left of a Senko or plastic worm overboard, is that littering?

Or if I lose a crankbait in the grass, rocks, trees or bushes is that littering?

Or if I throw the rest of my sandwhich in the water, is that littering?

If so, then I am DQed as our Club rules say we are not to litter.

A smoker does not see the throwing of his butts into the water as littering. You and I do, but not smokers.

So I just shake my head, not say anything, and wait for the phone call about the guy's heart attack or that he has cancer.

Somethimes you have to go with the flow and let the problems float away by turning a blind eye to they guy polluting.

Now, any other infaction has to be reported at weigh-in. If so, you need to ask in a nice, polite questioning tone, "Is it legal to ______?"

No matter what the reply, you can then add, "Well, I saw _____ do it and I was just wondering."

It is up to the Tournament Director to act on your input.

At our Club, we have voted on infractions after the tournament to have the Club's input and yes, we have lost a member or two but their infraction (throwing a dink on the shore or being under motor power without wearing a PFD) was major even though they did not think so.

I do not like smoking but it is a part of bass fishing and the smokers will continue to throw their butts in the water as they do not see it as pollution. :(

Smokers litter???? That's an aweful genderized statement! I smoke and I put them where they belong,in the tray!

if I throw any line I cut after changing baits or checking the knot is that littering?

Line left out??? Incosiderate lazy and a danger to wildlife!!!!!!

if I throw what is left of a Senko or plastic worm overboard, is that littering?

Same response as above!!!!

if I lose a crankbait in the grass, rocks, trees or bushes is that littering?

If you can't retrieve it after trying your best,NO! But not even attempting to try to retreive it, MOST DEFINATELY YES it's littering!

if I throw the rest of my sandwhich in the water, is that littering?

Curtain foods IMO are a different story. Bread and meat would be eaten.

Even in a T if I see litter of any kind floating or lures brush that is retreivable I stop fishing and scoop it with the net or break off the branch! As I stated previously, anyother way is inconsiderate and lazy!

I just started taking pic's of the boat and or person littering and send it into the state and Fish & wildlife! My way of saying wake up and be aware of your negligant actions and the affects it will have on the environment! >:(

Fishing should be fun...sounds like it has lost it's luster with this group.  Look around and find another club.  We fish the Fishers of Men Tournament Trail and have a blast----fellowship dinners on Friday, and a one day Tourney on Sat.  Great bunch of guys that respect, and treat each other with the utmost respect.  When you find a club that fits, it is great, until then, I can appreciate all of your gripes.  Fishing (unless it's for Thousands of dollars) is about the fellowship, and sharing of knowledge and times on the water.  Good luck fishing, and good luck with the clubs and tournies.  Organized bass fishing is  fun, as long as you connect with the right guys/gals.  If all fails, you could start your own club...you never know.

Take Care-

Jamie

Boyertown, Pa

Well said, hjerk24.

Fishing is for fun.

Let's try to keep it that way for as long as possible.