Sign in to follow this  
TheBeast

Tough one Saturday

Fidshed our club tourny on Cherokee Saturday. The forecast was for rain and overcast all day which I was actually looking forward to since it was supposed to be in the upper 50's to lower 60's and I knew the fishing should be good. Turned out slightly overcast early and windy, early winds 5-15 mph and inceasing throughout the day by 2:30 it was steady 25-40 mph, the overcast skys didn't last about an hour and it was bright skys all day. :( Water stained and 58 degrees in the lower end of the lake where we launched. We started a short run from the launch on a rock bank that my partner usually fishes and had been put on by another guy the week before during our kids tourny. I was throwing spinner baits and he was throwing cranks neither of us were getting anything and were talking about how we hated to resort to plastics so early, which we didn't do. Made a long run uplake to another few spots that we both had marked to fish, got up there and found muddy water with a temp of 62. We tried the same lures and still nothing, finally he grabbed his carolina rig and within 30 minutes had one on, I didn't even have time to grab the net before it threw the hook. I kept trying other lures while he stayed with the c-rig. We found some shore line with green grass running into the water and he got another one on the c-rig landed this one and came in at 2.6 so of course I tied up the c-rig and that is what we stayed with the rest of the day and would run and look for the same type of shoreline. We ended up with only the one keeper and 4 fish total, although I did miss a good one set the hook and only got a couple turns on the handle when it shook free. >:(

All in all it wasn't to bad considering we finished 4th in the club out of 12 boats and only 6 weighed in any fish. Made me feel better that the top guys that always have fish zeroed and we at least did figure out how to get a few, if only we had started out with the c-rig I believe we could have done alot better.  Also it was a regional event so there were about 20 other boats besides just our club and most of them zeroed as well, I think only 12 of the regional boats weighed in.

Oh yeah the last couple hours with the wind my partner said that is the roughest he has ever seen the water on this particular lake.

One more thing, they had raised the lake level 10 feet in a week.

if only we had started out with the c-rig I believe we could have done alot better.

I figured out where you got all your wisdom and advice last night when I finished reading last months BassMaster and the Mark Davis article.  Guess that'll teach me to read through them faster.  ;)

Me and one of my buddies went out Saturday too.  We launched at about 8:00am and stayed out until about 7:00pm that evening.  We were cranking and thowing spinnerbaits early too with no luck. At about 9:30 I pitched a jig and pig into a laydown and caught a 13 incher.  Later that day I was flipping some timber and a 5lb. channel cat hit my jig as I reel it in.  That was pretty much the only action of the day.  It was windy and the water temps were in the low to mid 60s.  I have no idea why they were not biting.  It seemed that everyone else on the lake was getting blanked too.

if only we had started out with the c-rig I believe we could have done alot better.

I figured out where you got all your wisdom and advice last night when I finished reading last months BassMaster and the Mark Davis article. Guess that'll teach me to read through them faster. ;)

I haven't read an issue of Bassmaster in 2 or 3 months.

'nuff said?  ;)