Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Camp Kitty and the Girl Scouts

I helped one of my friends show 80 Girl Scouts how to fish at Camp Kitty in Westmoreland County this past Saturday, April 19th.

It was a lot of work but a lot of fun, too.

The girls caught some beautiful bluegills and some nice bass.  Most of the bass were around one to one and a quarter pounds and the bluegills were big, heavy and had excellent color.

There was a lot of yelling and screaming as each girl caught a fish.  And lots of photos taken by the parents and scout leaders. In almost all catches, it was the first time the girls have either seen a fish close up or have actually touched a fish.

Some of the girls got brave and started to throw the fish back which was a big step for them since they were afraid of the bluegills, bream and bass.

My friend and I fished the lake's other side by the beaver hut and caught many one and one and a half pound bass. Almost caught one on every cast.  I guess we caught at least 30 bass in about a half hour of fishing.

Other than for avoiding the two snakes that live on top of the beaver hut, we had a super time fishing the pond.

And I only said one bad word at lunch when I missed one.  It took me three casts to finally catch him in the beaver hut but I got him. So for me, saying only one bad word in a day of fishing, was excellent.

It is really rewarding to help a bunch of kids fish for the first time and see those smiles when the finally catch a fish.  

We can go out and fish for ourselves, but if we are smart, we will show the kids how to fish and enjoy the sport.

So, I guess when we read or hear "take a kid fishing" it really means a lot to the kid. And to us, too.

It is really rewarding to help a bunch of kids fish for the first time and see those smiles when the finally catch a fish.  

We can go out and fish for ourselves, but if we are smart, we will show the kids how to fish and enjoy the sport.

So, I guess when we read or hear "take a kid fishing" it really means a lot to the kid. And to us, too.

very, very well said.  sometimes we need to be reminded of that.  thank you.  congrats on your great trip. :)

It's not only extremely rewarding for both you and the jr anglers, it is the future of the sport.  Well done and well spoken Sam!!