Sign in to follow this  
Bass n Bows

Finally

Well, today was my 6th time out fishing for 2008.  I'd been getting skunked every time I went out.  Today was a great day though.  I caught two bass.  One was a dink probably 10 in.  and the other one was a little better, probably 13 or 14 in.  Neither fish were big but it was just great to finally catch something.  

I want to thank Roadwarrior and everyone else who has given advice on senkos, because they made all the difference today.  

I started of fishing points and windy flats with an x-rap and didn't get bit.  Then I got in some isolated water and saw schools of bass swimming around.  The bass were paying no attention to my  jerkbait or football jig, so I thought it would be a perfect situation for a slow falling bait like a senko.  I have never fished a senko before in my life, but I got out my finesse hooks and wacky rigged my nock off senko.  The color was pumpkin with an orange dipped tail.  The water was very clear so I was sight fishing.  

The first bass I caught was cruising about two feet of the bank so I cast past him and dropped it down in front of him as he swam by.  He followed the bait as it dropped and just stared at it as it sat motionless on the bottom.  He would start to lose interest and I would give it the slightest twitch and he would be locked on it again.  Finally after five minutes of playing games with him, [on a single cast] he finally devoured the senko.  Even though this fish was a dink, it was by far my favorite fishing experience in many years.  The second fish was a bit bigger and he hit it on the drop out in the deeper water.  

So what can I say about senko's. I'M HOOKED!!!!  I wish I could get the pictures of the fish off my cellphone onto here but I have no Idea how. >:(

Glad you finally "broke the ice"! Must be deep dodo :o to have to shut down all winter. One thing to be glad about, living in the South...

As Ever,

skillet

Bass n Bows, You can usually email yourself pictures off of a phone.  You send it just like sending a picture to another phone, but you put the email address in.  I have an old phone and can do this, so yours probably does this as well.  

I'm trying to figure out how to send the pics to my email but its saying the message size is too large.  I just need to work on it for a bit.

Congrats!  Senkos are an awesome bait.  Often times thought of as popular some years ago.  I figure it this way, those fish that saw it a few years ago liked it then so why wouldn't the fish I'm throwing to like it now?  If it's the same fish, is its memory really that good?  Mine's not......

Nice job on your catch.

So the fishing is finally picking up here in Northern Illinois!  I went out this afternoon and caught 8 bass.  I caught one dink on a senko, and the rest are on my confidence lure :-X!  I even missed 3 fish from not setting the hook hard enough.  These fish are nothing compared to all the hogs you guys pull out!  But this is the size that you catch them on around here.  Man I'm stoked! ;D

post-12266-13016298449_thumb.jpg