Sign in to follow this  
indy basser

Thinking outside the box

A friend of mine has a pond behind his house and I headed over there today to get in a couple hours of quality fishing.  ONe one end, there is a water fall where another pond floes into this one.  We average about 1 fish a half hour on a typical day but early this morning and last night it rained and the water was muddy.  My frined discovered mostly by accident that when he casted his little crank bait on the top of the waterfall and let it fall down it then started to reel he would get a strike.  We both used this technique to catch about 10 in half an hour then I lost my crankbait and I think we caught all of them sitting there.  So I tied on a popper and we walked to the next pond and its waterfall.  The pattern held up and the fish nailed the popper.  Some of the bass would even get completly airborne slamming the thing.  Even caought a 1+ lbs crappie.  My guess is that when the water flow picks up minnows are carried over the waterfall and the bass were sitting there waiting on them.  All in all great day and a new pattern in my back pocket.

Haha that's a great!  

I used to fish with live bream and cut bait off of this dock on a private lake in Texas where the club cleaned all the crappie and bream.  One day there was this big bass just hanging out in plain view on the end of the dock and I would dangle my bream in front of her and she would not have anything to do with it.  One of the guys who worked there told me to pull out some slack in my line and stand back and throw my bream over the side just like the bream fishers do when they release one.  Needless to say, she annihilated that bream and it became a standard "pattern" of mine.  

way to figure 'em out man.

A discovery like that is golden!

I never would have though it either, but one of the lakes I fish has waterfalls and they guy that lives there likes to fish it... one of the best spots on the lake.

The crazy thing was that when we threw to the base of the waterfall, we wouldn't get a single bite.  We had to throw are biats to the top of the waterfall and let them fall down it.  When we did that almost every cast proivded a bass.  Also the average size of these bass were much larger than our normal average size on this pond.  I would love to hear your guys's stories about weird or random patterns.