Sign in to follow this  
wickyman

Clear Lake, California

I went out to the old lake, and was casting worms wacky, and such.  My father in law, and I had been out on Kelseycreek for an hour, and hit the point that we were thinking the day was looking bad.  I got tired of throwing the worm, and reached into my box, where my Cotton Cordell Wiggle-O was sitting.  It's shad colored, with bloody gills and a red chin.  

I never have had luck on a crank bait before!  I threw it out, and caught one!  Nothing big, just a lb and a half.  Nothing big, but my heart was pumping!  I threw it again, and again, and 3rd time's a charm!  BAM!  2 fish about the same size, in 5 minutes!  Now I am thinking to myself, "this is unbelievable!"  Kept throwing it, and about 5-10 minutes later, a third!  I ended up losing that one, but it was near enough to the boat to see that it was a couple lbs.  No big deal, about this time, I put the 3 dots on my lure to mark it's success.  

We go back out towards the front, just by the state park, and run up on shore to get some ice cream from the little store.  We come back empty handed as they don't have credit right now...  My father in law runs out to soda bay to get some cash, and I am screwing around at the boat.  I throw it again, and get a strike.  Lost it some way out, not paying attention was the issue...  I am amazed at my success this day!  He comes back and has me run the trolling motor, and we go straight to the other side, and I reel in really slow, and BAM! AGAIN!  Now this is astounding to me!  I don't know if the fish were turned on, or what!

So I am 4 fish strong after a couple hours.  We go out to the boat ramp side, where we launched the boat.  I caught one more!  5 fish on one lure!  Not at all bad, especially for a lure I had fished for hours before, and had nothing!  Big fish was only 2.5lbs, but it was the amazement on my face, that said it all!  :)  I have a video and pictures on my father in laws camera.  I will upload those asap!  It was amazing!  

The whole season, which for me started back in march, I had nothing...  1 bass, and 4 crappie.  So now I am up to 6 bass.  This lake has been really difficult this year!  Rediculous for any tournament, and everyone is saying it's hard!  Most people saying nothing more than, "just 3 today.".  These guys are running with all the best equipment, and boats...  And I pull 5 in a few hours, just in an aluminum gregor...  What does that say?!  Am I good at finding, and catching them, all the sudden?  Was it luck?  I don't know, but I skunked the old man!  So I am happier than a pig in stink!  lol  

Way to whack em!! Nothing like finding a bait thats hot and slaying em.

I have to say, that I was seriously killing them yesterday, and not even trying!  lol  I haven't had so many near strikes, this year...  It was amazing!  Gonna have to go out and get me like 5 more of this bait!  I really like it.  :D  It's really a great lure, for the price!  I have a 12 dollar rapala that I can't even get a strike on!  It's really mind blowing!

way to figure 'em out man. :)

Yeah, it was in the high 80s, low 90s last week.  This week cooled off to the 70s.  Not too bad, but I got burnt yesterday!  lol

Way to go man, Clear Lake has been less then great this year. I was up there sunday, and we had all small fish until almost the very end when I managed a 6.6.

Hopefully the bite gets better!

Way to go!!! is it starting to get hot up there now???

Temperature wise: It was 100 degrees both days this past weekend, and then cooled down.

Bite wise, it's gradually getting better, but still a ton of small fish which isn't like clear lake  ;D

I have to say, that I was seriously killing them yesterday, and not even trying! lol I haven't had so many near strikes, this year... It was amazing! Gonna have to go out and get me like 5 more of this bait! I really like it. :D It's really a great lure, for the price! I have a 12 dollar rapala that I can't even get a strike on! It's really mind blowing!

You hit on the pattern (crank bait) that interested them the most. Stay with it until they loose interest.

That's what I plan on doing.  Gonna probably go out, and get me some different sized bagleys, in the same color variation.  :)  I have to say, though, it was pretty wicked to see all the new baits at the store today!  I seen at least 3-5 that I want to try!  :D