Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

Great day on the potomac river today!

i got a chance to go out on a bass boat today on the potomac river. it was my first time in a bass boat and i must say it is luxury compared to my leaky tipsy jonboat! ;D and it was wicked cool to blast across the river at 75mph ;).

so now that the boat story is out of the way, the fishin was pretty good! we were out for about 5 hours and i caught 6 bass, my dad got 3, and our host caught 2. my dad and i got to the ramp earlier than the other guys, so i was tossing a spinnerbait off the pier and i caught a bass before the day even started!

once we got out in the boat, we blasted across the river to a nice cove, and on my second or third cast i hooked up with a nice 3-4 pounder on the same black spinnerbait. i fought this baby all the way to the boat and just as i bent down to lip it, hook slipped out. i wasnt too upset, it was fun to fight it all the way to the boat.

about 20 min later, nothing was happening so i switched to a red rattlin rapala, and on my first cast with that, i casted it about 75 feet +/-, and literally half a second after it hit the water i had a fish on it!!! i fought this 3+ lber all the way to the boat and landed it. it was such a great fight!!! i can honestly say that these river fish fight 10 times harder and longer than the pond fish that im used to catching.

after that we went into a different cove and i started smackin em on a smoke red pepper ***. my dad switched over to what i was using and he started catching em too. our host caught one on a pumpkin colored lizard here.

after that cove we went across the river and started flipping around docks and grass clumps and we saw these HUGE carp mating and beating the crap out of each other. our host caught one on an excalibur lipless and then we called it a day.

sorry no pics,  but it was a really great day! ima have to talk my dad into buying a bass boat now ;) ;D.

I am glad you had the chance to experience the fishing from a boat like that. It is amazing the freedom you feel when you know that you can pull up the TM and run to another spot.

Congratulations on the fish also.

rock on dave!!!  way to whack 'em on the big rig.  that'll be you one day out there in the bass boat i'm sure. ;D

Dave,

I am so happy for you and your adventure on the Potomac.

Get a map of the Potomac and map out where you went and the baits used, etc. on the map.  A GMCO map is an excellent investment.

What marina did you go out?

Were you in Maryland or Virginia?

The Potomac is a wonderful fishery and you just had your fist taste of it.  Isn't it sweet?  Like candy.  Great fishing and I am glad you and your Dad had a wonderful time.

Now, talking about bass boats.  Remember "Ranger."  Remember "Lots of Money When Talking About a Ranger."

There are other great boats out there like Bass Cat, Triton, Skeeter, Tracker, ProCraft, etc. that you can find "pre-owned" (a nice way of saying used) that will not cost you an arm and a leg.

Of course, if you go to college and get your degree you will have the money to purchase any bass boat you want BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED.

That's the key. "BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED."

Simple. So remember it.

Now you have a reachable goal as you go through high school and college and start working.  A bass boat so you and your Dad can go to the many lakes and rivers to fish for bass in YOUR OWN BASS BOAT.

Please take the boater's safety course in Maryland even though you do not own a bass boat just to have your boating safety certificate.

Congrats again and next time......bring a camera.  ;)

thanks for thte tips sam.

we launched out of Marshall Hall in Maryland, and fished in the piscataway creek.

i did bring a camera, but i only took one picture, and i was too lazy to upload...but if you insist, here is the biggest one i caught yesterday:

ghj001.jpg

Good pic.

Kool sunglasses!

Sounds like a good day, your biggest mistake was going out in a regualr bass boat like that now the only thing you will be able to do is try and figure out a way to get one.   :)