Sign in to follow this  
TheBeast

BigTom and TheBeast

Hit Fish Trap lake near Pikeville KY on Sunday. Had a pretty good day nice to finally meet in person after talking on here for the past couple months. Was on the water about 6:30 very foggy couldn't see more than 50 yards not that big a deal just went slow and followed the GPS. I had been getting some good info on the lake from one of my vendors that lives about 15 minutes from it and our first spot was just out of the no-wake zone. Water temps were 64-65 at the first spot and their was a big laydown tree in 10-15' of water just off a small point. We started out with the topwaters hoping they would be on but no luck, I started throwing the Red Eye shad in Sexy and BigTom went to the soft plastics. We covered all 3 sections of the water column this way, I finally got a little one on the RedEye and nothing else. I beleive they were pulling water through the dam there was alot of current and chop but no wind. After the fog lifted enough we took off to the next spot a small inlet called Joe's Branch that was about 50-60 yards long. I stayed with the Redeye and Tom with the plastics with no luck. The guy I had been talking to told me that tubes were good and one particular color from Cabin Creek Baits so I grabbed the one I had rigged up and first cast to another laydown pine fish on, got it in and a real nice Black Crappie. Started back out fishing the less weedy bank, hooked into 2 more one in the pics to follow and one around 3 lbs. that broke off right at the boat :'( Tom switced to the tube and hooked into a small one and threw the hook, I missed 2 more that threw the hook. We went to the next branch stayed with the tube and caught one more small one and Tom had mentioned he had never had a fish break off yet when mine did. Well he hooked in a nice 3-4 lb'er and guess what happens, yep got his first break-off about 8' from the boat. Stayed out till about 3:00 without a whole lot more action but still had a nice day, bluebird skys and temps in the upper 70's near 80. Found water temps up to 72. The lake was stained but you could still see the RedEye down to about 8', up in the river the water got very muddy this was supposed to be the best place to go for numbers, I was throwing a little of everyting and told Tom to stick to the tube since it had been the producer and I wanted him to get one in the boat. I ended up with 2 more on a RocketShad spinner and Tom missed the hookset and lost a couple more. I will attibute Tom's lost fish and missed hooksets to lack of experience, he has only been fishing for bass for a year and the bite was very subtle. One of those days that you just have to have the experience to know when the right time to set the hook is when you can't even feel a bite just a little heavy and then you need to let them hold a sec after you feel it the first time.

All in all it was not a bad day for the first time to a new lake that neither of us had any knowledge of till about a week before hand.

fishtrap001.jpg

fishtrap002.jpg

Also need to add this was the first time I took out the new Carrot Stick and Revo STX.  This is an awesome combo, weighs nothing and casts like a dream even when you mess up and put Spiderwire InvisiAnchorRope uhhh I mean InvisiBraid.  I used 80lb. that was supposed to be 15 lb. diameter more like 25 lb. diameter and was supposedly from the name and description fairly translucent.  This stuff looked like a rope in the water and I could barely get it to double through the eye of a 1/0 hook to tie a Palomar and then the knot was bigger than the hookeye.  They say it is one of the thinnest diameter superlines, well 80 lb. PowerPro is nearly half the diameter.

Thanks again for taking me out.  I had a lot of fun, even when I almost ended up in the drink  ;D.

I wish the crappie picture would have turned out better.

Thats a nice looking bass though.  Healthy fish.

I went out yesterday and caught a few at Yatesville.  First fish I caught was a 14 and 3/4 incher on a wacky rigged Strike King Zero.  Later in the day I got my first Red Eye Shad fish.  He was about 17 and 1/2 inches long and probably weighed around 2.5 pounds.  Caught another keeper on a crankbait not long before we left.  

It was a good memorial day weekend.

Not nearly deep enough for Flanagan, heck the shallows in that place are 30'.   I guess you are reffering to how trashy it is.  Flanagan is an operating room cmpared to this place.  I forgot to mention how trashy it is and I am talking trash trash not logs and sticks and brush, ran by a basketball in the main lake and in a couple spots it was like a maze weeving through the trash on the surface.

sounds like a fun trip.  and you can't beat the scenery.  real nice. :)

sounds like a fun trip. and you can't beat the scenery. real nice. :)

You know the right person can make any place look good.  8-)

Yeah, that water looks real nice, and sounds like it has some nice fish in there,  especially if they can break 80 lb braided line.......twice......lol

Nice spot and nice fish though.

loving my carrot and revo stx combo too...i'm using the suffix 20 lb. braid (6lb. diameter) though, which is nice stuff.