Sign in to follow this  
wagn

new PB on Topwater

So i went out to a small pound down the road from me today to fish from shore for an hour or so before i went to bed. I grabbed three rods that I already rigged up and took off. I got there at 11:00pm.

I've been having pretty good luck with large spinnerbaits at night so i started with that. No luck

Next I tried a chatterbait because of the heavy vibration and it was a pretty windy night blowing straight towards my shore. I figured the extra thump might help. Again, not a nibble

Finally I threw out a Cavitron buzzbait, which I haven't caught any fish on this year at all. I actually almost left it at home thinking it was to early up here for topwater. On the 4th cast i was just letting it thump along when I hear this giant crash right next to my bait, but no tug or hook up or anything. So I reel in as fast as I can and cast right past where the splash was. It was so dark tonight with no moon visible that I could  barely see the lake, and as I'm cranking in, another Huge splash, but this time there is resistance on my rod.

I slam home my hook set, and can feel the fish fighting and thrashing. Unable to see anything I had no idea what or how big the fish was on my line. Often while night fishing I think a fish is bigger then it is, just from not having any visual and all the adrenaline that goes with fishing in the dark.

Man this fish is fighting hard. pulling and tugging. Finally I get it up to shore onto the sand, and turn my headlamp on. This fish is BIG, is my only thought, I didn't even drag it out of the sand at the shore, I lept right in about a foot deep and lipped her right there.

I get my bait out, and my arm is dragging. This is definitely the largest bass I have ever caught. In NH a good bass is 4 pounds, and I'm sure that this one is at least 6. So i grab my scale and hook her up. The final weigh in is 7 pounds 1 oz. I nearly flipped out. I know down south that may not seem so big, but up here the state record is only 10pds 8 oz.

I'm still shaking as I type this. The only bad part is i didn't have my camera. I forgot to put it back in my bag after my last trip out. All I got was a horrible camera phone shot in which you can't even tell if it is a fish or some sort of log I am holding. Oh well, this memory is going to stick with me forever.

And thanks for letting me rant, This is a long post, but i'm so excited I just wanted to share it with everyone

Congrats on your new PB.

Topwaters are fun to fish.

Buzzbaits are even better.

Cavitron buzzbaits are the best.

Did you use a trailer hook?  If not, try using one in the future on all buzzbaits.

Now go back and catch her again!  :)

Thanks!

Yup I always use a trailer hook on any buzz or spinnerbait. I would hate to miss a fish because i was to lazy to add trailerhooks

7lb1oz is nice anywhere ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

7lb1oz is nice anywhere

right on skillet!  and on top too. :o  real nice man.

Excellent!  I agree, 4 lbs is a great fish all over New England, but 7 is a true monsta!

I just got a Cavitron buzz bait - I guess Ill use it more often.

I'm glad to hear you set her Free!

Thanks guys

And Redtail, i always set em free. that way I can catch em again.

So i went back out to the spot where I caught the 7 pounder today, and decided to throw the same buzzbait to see if i could get similiar results. I caught a bass, but it was just a little bit smaller them my BB

june2nd08resized.jpg

Did okay on some small swimbaits though. caught 3 keepers in under an hour