Sign in to follow this  
Tin

Post Spawn Fun

Started out at around 10am today (felt like sleeping late). Post spawn is my favorite time to fish because most fish are just so easy to pick off. The week or two following most bed activity they will stay super shallow and just chill in shade pockets or under overhangs making them very easy to get. I started by skipping a 6" bright pink floating worm up under overhangs in less than a foot of water and it was just one fish after another. I find this just as fun as sight fishing because you see the fish just suck it in. I couldn't get anything big going on that. I had about a dozen in an hour between 1.25-2, all solid fish.

So I picked up the jig in search of some bigger fish and found a nice 80' stretch of trees where a lot of pollen had been blown into creating a nice scum line. So I took out the skipping frog rod for the first time this year. It's just a 6'6" Heavy action Castaway with 65 pound braid. I cranked up the brakes and spool tension on the Revo and started skipping it to the shore and working it out. Needless to say, it was on. I fished that 80' stretch of pollen and lay downs twice and picked off 9 fish in about a half hour and missed 3 or 4. These were all a little bigger going between 2.5-3.75.

Forget bed fishing, I will take decent topwater fish all day long.

After the adventure with Kermit I was on the trolling motor heading out of the inlet when I saw a bed about the size of a trash can lid with a big fish on it. I circled around and was about 35' away and the fish didn't spook. I threw a little 2.5" white tube to the bed. First cast I picked off the 2 pound male. Then three more casts and it didn't get any attention from her. So I took out the top secret bed fishing senko rig (just wacky-rig a 5" senko, tie it in a knot, and stare at it for about a minute and you will understand it  ;) ). As soon as it popped open in her bed she ate it. The fish went just a tad over 5. A fun day to say the least.

Haha, that's a neat trick. I may have to try that. Nice job Michelle... I mean Mike.

How about some pictures next time pleeeeaassseee?

;)

Yea I know. I just got an Ipod last Christmas and am just beginning to catch up with technology.

epic day.  way to stick 'em bud.