Sign in to follow this  
Tim Ford

Great Day on Tim's Ford

Today was the first day I've fished on Tim's Ford in a while.  It's hard to fish there in the summer because of all the jet skis and pleasure boaters.  I almost didn't even go, because it was cloudy and the forecast was predicting thunderstorms.  But I finally decided to chance it at about 1:30 this afternoon, and I'm sure glad I did.

I started out alternating between a chartreuse and white Rapala X-Rap and a chartreuse and white spinnerbait.  I started on a 8-20 foot ledge off a main lake point off of a cove.  I didn't have any luck with that, and slowly started to work my way shallower.  Finally, I got up to the bank and threw a junebug ultravibe worm into a tree top.  I got a good bite and missed.  Threw it right to the same place, and hooked up with a 3 lb large mouth.  Fished there a little longer with no luck.  I headed north and hit an area right outside of a cove that had some boat houses and fallen trees.  I tied on an orange with green flake Yum tube.  First cast into the first tree, I caught a 2 lb small mouth.  I quickly threw back to the same spot, on the very next cast caught another 2 lb smallie.  Moved down to the next tree, first cast into it 4 lb small mouth.  Next cast, I hooked into another one but it jumped and threw the hook.  I tried it a little longer with no luck.  As I got further away from the cove I had less luck.  So I fired up and went to the next cove.  I got on a great pattern with tree tops in and downstream from coves.  Nearly every treetop held at least one small mouth.  I ended up catching 2 large mouths and 8 small mouths.  Every smallie I caught was on a tube.  As it got darker I switched from the orange to a "black and blue dominator tube" by Reaction Innovations.  It was the best day I've had on Tim's Ford in months.