Sign in to follow this  
belak00

A great way to introduce my son to bass

I while back I joined this forum when I found out that the lake my in-laws have a cabin on was a decent bass lake. My son who just turned 9 just started to really get excited about fishing, and spending time with dad (maybe more catching fish then the dad part). So we planned a day and a half trip to the lake by ourselves to fish. The day finally came and it was great. I have never targeted bass, I grew up a walleye fisherman(thank you grandpa). With the help of the members and sponsors here I found the right combinations of lure and location.

Now on to the fishing. We got out there around 6.30p and hit the water. Now my in-laws just have a pontoon, so we used that to fish. It actually works great with my son, he can walk around and cast to the spots he wants. First I stopped at a small lilly pad patch just off a 7' channel. My first cast with a swimsenko along the edge and fish on. My son's second cast to the pads, fish on. We fished that small patch of pads til dusk. We used the swinmsenko and some small spinners and caught 9 bass and a small northern(slimmy little sucker).

The next morning we were on the water by 6.30a. I had researched the structure of the lake prior to going out. So I drove the pontoon to the edge of a sand bar around 10' deep. The wind was in perfect direction to slowly push us right down the sand bar. We would get tho the end and I would reposition the boat, and the wind would take us right back down the line. We caught 15 more bass tossing a weightless swimsenko and a yum craw and just letting them fall to the bottom. Later in the evening we went back to the same patch of pads and caught more. Twice we landed bass at the same time. Both times we were fishing off opposite sides of the boat and reeled in at the same time. It was great, and we had a blast. No we didn't catch any lunkers the biggest fish we caught was around 18". A lot were only 12"-14" but it didn't matter. I don't have a scale so we never got the weights. It was the perfect introduction to bass fishing for him, by the time we left we had caught over 30 fish. Heres some pics.

post-21796-130162992354_thumb.jpg

post-21796-130162992361_thumb.jpg

post-21796-130162992368_thumb.jpg

post-21796-130162992374_thumb.jpg

That's what it's all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll remember this trip with dad forever.

Awesome job.  Really beautiful looking lake too.  

Congratulations to both of you and you're a terrific Dad for sure....

Big O

www.ragetail.com

If only all dads took the time...........................CONGRATS you two!!!    ;D

fantastic.  obviously y'all had a blast.  wtg dude. :)