Sign in to follow this  
skeetermike

Took my new rod out last night

Our objective was simple, find the shallow grass beds and stay ready!  I took the ol zebco and put 50lb mono on it.  I then attatched it to my old Hoyt bow!  Yes we were there for the carp!  I got lucky on the 1st shot with about a 2lber and then it went down hill from there.  I shot at gar, I shot at buffs, and several more carp.  That bow fishing is hard.  I'm now hooked though. Any pointers for my next journey?  

Aim low and shoot for the middle to the tail if you can. I shot a 35 lb. buffalo last year square in the head, took 20 minutes to get the arrow back out, it's all bone up there.

Thanks for the advice.  I was aiming low but you don't have too long to shoot once the light hits them!  I thought about tieing a can on a string and tossing it out into the pond for some practice?  That would be the closest thing to bow fishing I can think of.  

i myself have only been twice and i am 1/2. bagged a gar. the main thing to do as your mindset already is is to practice. it makes a world of difference on your aim depending on how high above the water you are in your boat and the angle of the fish, distance the fish is from you, as well as the depth of what you are shooting. BOWFISH12 likes to take us in 2ft of water and when i shoot my arrow pile drives into the rock and clay and ruins my new arrow tips. so watch your depth too if you are worried about the longevity of you gear