Sign in to follow this  
N2BassFishn

When to throw reaction lures?

I have tried throwing faster moving baits here lately with no luck.  I have tried spinnerbaits, rattletraps and other faster moving things.  I have thrown plastic's and worked them slow and have had pretty decent luck on them.  Is it just not the right time to start throwing the faster moving baits yet?  And if not when is a good time?  Thanks everyone...Mike

Whats the water temp?

Generally you can look for a reaction strike when the water is 55 degrees or higher if the bass are in pre spawn mode. Then post spawn till late fall.

Id say 85% maybe more of the bites you get when fishing are reaction strikes.

I think you can use reaction lures anytime of year especially Rat L Traps.  Last weekend I went fishing and the water was between 50 and 55 degrees and I managed to catch some on a Rat L Trap.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I don't know the water temp due to the fact I have no way in measuring it...Thanks..Mike

Thanks everyone for the tips, I don't know the water temp due to the fact I have no way in measuring it...Thanks..Mike

N2, thermometers are cheap. Lots of guys use pool thermometers, I use a "stream thermometer", which is about the size of a ballpoint pen and can usually be found in stores and catalogs in with fly fishing stuff and cost less than $10.