Sign in to follow this  
villagecreekboy

night fishing

Due to my busy schedule I have been forced to consider doing a great deal of my bass fishing at night.  The closest body of water for me to access is the White River near Batesville AR.  I have some success on this river during daytime hours, but it's still early in the year and the water temp. is still very low.  The White is a cool river anyway but especially this time of year.  Am I wasting my time nightfishing this early in the year on the river?  Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Take a look at Best Night Bait on this page and get some ideas. I am not much of a river basser.   Dan :'(

I am personally a huge fan of night fishing. I have had the most success along rocky bluffs. It seems that during the night, large mouth bass will come up to the rock bluffs to feed on crawfish, minnows, worms, and any other moving creature. I have had the most success with a blue and black twin tail skirtted gub on a football head jig, but pig jigs work equally as well.

Cast it as close as possible to shore wait 20 seconds, then begin a slow retrieve, and prepare to have your arm snapped off because they hit hard.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!

Kevin,

I have been over to the White river in your neck of the woods. I have also been to the Spring river over there by (I believe it was called) Cherokee Village. My mom and the rest of my family lives a little ways (about an hour or so) away. They are over towards Walnut Ridge.

Sorry that has nothing to do with night fishing.   ;D

JT Bagwell

I am not sure about White River but I have fished the St Johns River and its tributaries a TON at night. I found that basically the same dynamics apply day or night. Moving current is a must in the St Johns. I use texas rigged worms on shallow structure primarily unless I see alot of fish rolling the water in which case I switch to a devils horse or buzz bait. The problem with night fishing is the obvious vision issue which is why I prefer to stick with plastics. You can lose alot of high dollar baits when your casting at something you cant see. The plastics make it easy to shake lose from a shoreline snag. I find that the fish seem to be less spooked at night which is helpful. I would arm myself with some worms, topwaters, and slugos and go out and have fun.