Sign in to follow this  
philbo1311

Targeting feeding Bass

???

Hi There,

Yesterday I was fishing in the back of a cove on a local lake.  There were tons of shad along the bank and every so often a big Mama Bass was exploding on them and feeding I guess?

I fished  live shad on 10 lb. Flourclear pinned thru the nose with an Owner #2 Mosquito hook. No dice I tried for hours. just caught some crappie and snagged some of the shad. There was plenty of overhangs and in the shade. This all took place in the mid-afternoon to around 6:30p.

I only had panfish gear with me, bummer eh?

What could I have used to catch this Mama Pesca?

Thanks,

shadowdog3

I could list my whole box for this question. To narrow it down I would say use a drop bait like a senko or a soft jerkbait and let the bait look like something hurt and let it fall through the shad school to the bottom.

That's tough man, trying to get your single bait to stand out in a crowd of shad and attaract that bass.

I would probably have tried to make my bait look different than the shad rather than match them.

I would either pick a shad colored bait much larger than the ones she was feeding on or pick a bait sized like the shad she was eating, but in a totally different color.

Still, competing with all that shad is sometimes a losing effort.  I fished a tourney on the Ohio River a few years ago when we came across a huge school of shad being destroyed by a very large school of nice spotted bass.  We threw everything in the boat and managed to catch one spot.

Brad

I've been having the same problem on Smith Mountain lately.  They'll bust the heck outta shad right beside the boat but but don't even want to sniff anything I throw at them.  I'm starting to get frustrated but am still able to just enjoy being out of doors.

Try throwing a casting spoon through the wads of shad, but don't let the fish jump the spoon weighs enough to be easily thrown by a fish.

How about a live waterdog, d**n those things are hot!!!!!

Thanks alot guys, some real good advice and observations.  Yeah we just had a good time in the great weather, and loved being out and observing nature. Awesome.

shadowdog3