Sign in to follow this  
plowertj

deep water fishing

I'm going to a lake (Lake Toxaway) this summer in NC that supposively holds largemouth, smallmouth, and rainbow trout. In some places of the lake, it is 60 feet deep. Probably the deepest water I've ever fished in is 4-5 feet.  Are there any different techniques I need to use when fishing artificial lures such as worms, senkos, etc.? Can you use a crankbait in that deep of water? I'm a total newbie to this place, so any suggestions in fishing this deep of water would help. THANKS!

If the bass are holding at anymore than 30'......go home.

If you can locate some bass on points,a Carolina Rig or a crankbait (matched to water depth) should get you bit.If the water temp is in the mid 70's or so,by all means,use a topwater bait.The fish most likely wont be too deep (20+) if the water is still relatively cool.

Be sure to take a Norman DD22,that crankbait is hard to beat for deep water situations.

carolina rig, dropshot, 1/2 to 1oz jig, 1 oz spinnerbait with smaller blades than it comes with, texas rig plastic worm, blade bait, jigging spoon, crankbait like the hot lips series by lur jenson,(they go deeper) Carolina rig a crankbait to get more depth, or a tube.

If the water is not really clear I wouldn't bother going deep.

1 If a topo map of the lake is available get one. Find all the bottom structure, such as humps, drop offs, old road beds, or anywhere the bottom elevates quickly from max depth to the 8-20 ft. zone. Highlight them with a marker. If two or more bottom structures are grouped together near current, highlight those in a different color.

2. Ask around and find out what type of forage the fish feed on.

3. If shad is the main course, use your sonar and ride over the previously highlighted bottom structure. Find the ones with baitfish pods nearby. Those are the ones you want to target, even if you aren't marking fish.

4 Using a C-rig, drop shot rig or jigging spoon(Like a flexit), fish both the up current and down current drop offs of the bottom structure. Experiment until you figure out what the fish want.