Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

The pond dries up...Then what?

I have a question concerning the pond I am frequently fishing lately. It appears it keeps getting lower and lower, Eventually It will be dried up. What if anything can be done with those poor fish as the pond dries up,I would hate to see those poor things die. I have caught at least 15 small(10-12") Bass and three other Bass 2- 2.5 pounds   out of this pond,I always throw them back,Theres really nowhere to fish around here so I throw em back so I can catch em again. There are also green sunfish,hybrid sunfish,bluegill, catfish ,oh and a few KOI as well in this pond. There are a few places nearby that the fish can be taken to,but im worried about the whole transplant aspect,Here in Arizona its illegal,Putting the whole legality issue aside what would be a good way to help these fish,So I can fish for them in the future ?

Transplanting is illegal here in PA as well, so maybe you can find another pond and with the owner's permission transplant there.

Chow

The Pa Angler

Does the pond normally dry up in the summer or is this an exceptionally dry year?   Maybe it will rain and solve your problem.  Transporting fish to put into a different lake is illegal here also, because of the risk of diesese, parasite and even weed control.  

This pond lies at the bottom of a mountain,the mountain has a resevoir tank on top of it and what usually occurs is,they release some of the water from the resevoir to keep the pond filled. But tree huggers have come in and said its a waste of water so "no more". I have been told this pond has to be self sustaining to survive and if it dries up then.............OH WELL. I think this pond is used for flood control. One area of it has a dam with a small 3ft X 3 ft hole in it for spillage. The other side of the dam has a creek bed  that runs right into the main military installation and if the dam wasnt there and a hard rain occured there'd be some havoc. I have a pond in mind to transplant them to. It the "OLD HOLE" I spoke of in another post,but just how do I go about transplanting the fish when the time comes?

Tree huggers aren't they little bushy tailed kritters that knaw on pine cones and cousin to the rat?  Ther're good for breakfeast or at least there brains are supposed to be with eggs.  If its an envionmental issue I'd be raise'n He- - about my fish then too.  Call the radio and tv stations.  

I would get and Ice Chest and a small battery powered areator they start at about 6.00 but eat batteries so the round 13.00 dollar big bubble one may be better if you use it alot.   It wouldn't hurt to put a little ice in with the fish too.   Unless you have special permits to transfer I imagine that you will have to stay within local bag limits.  A seine or net would faster then catching them by hand.  I would not move any that look weak or sick to the new spot.

Go talk to Wildlife Commision they always can help you out.

I would call the fish and game commission and they might net them out and move them. We had a problem like that in Florida and some of the drain ponds around the airport in orlando where going dry so they neted out the bass that where stocked there and put them in different ponds.