Sign in to follow this  
dirtybirdnation

I seen a gadget that reads depth and water temp...

This thing was at my local sporting goods store. You tie it to your line and throw it out and it reads the depth of were you casted and the water temp. Has anyone ever seen and or used one of these. I don't have boat with a depth reader.

So I figured it would be great to use on some of these private ponds, that I have no idea contour of the bottom depth wise. Anyone have anything like this and is it worth having or is it a waste?

I've been thinking about buying one of these myself. Don't know anyone that has bought one yet, but for $86, how can you go wrong?

Since you're a fellow falcon fan...

Tanner state park, Carrollton.  Lower lake. Watermelon seed trick worm.

Worth the drive.

I've been thinking about buying one of these myself. Don't know anyone that has bought one yet, but for $86, how can you go wrong?

Since you're a fellow falcon fan...

Tanner state park, Carrollton. Lower lake. Watermelon seed trick worm.

Worth the drive.

GO FALCONS! 8) Thanks for the tip. The depth/temp. device that I'm talking about is only like 10 bucks at most. It looks no bigger than 2 quarter rolls stuck together length wise. It's not electronic. So I'm not sure of the one your talking about. This one I'm talking about is at Dicks sporting goods.

Back in the 60's there used to be an electronics company called Heath Kit. They had a thermometer kit that had small cable about 60 ft in length with a temp sensor on the end. It had a large spool built into a handle so you could drop it down, reading the temps as you go and the cable was marked every five ft and wind it up when done.

Bought one of those and been using that thing since 1967. I replace the battery and calibrate it every year and it still works great.

As for thermoclines, a good depth finder will show those.

If you were really high tech in the 60's - you also had a PH meter.   I tried to find one of those thermometers (electronic/with cable) a while back.  Mainly just out of curiosity when fishing on lakes with power plants.  I never did locate one, of course I didn't look very hard.  

Never got the ph meter.   Bought the temp quage and my first flasher back then.  I've never used the temp guage enough to  warrent trying to upgrade it and that one works fine for what I do with it.  In the spring I like to know what the 5' depth temp is .  Surface temps change too fast.  

I did buy the Color C-lector they pitched so hard when it came out, what a waste, still have that thing too.

A high quality flasher is all you really need, and a high quality LCD helps when you're not wanting to concentrate on looking at the flasher.  Add a surface temp guage and that's all the high tech you really need.