Sign in to follow this  
Guest avid

carolina riggin tips continued

Guest avid

I don't know what happened but the "reply" button wasn't active so I could not reply to this great thread.  I used some of the tips and caught my first Carolina rigged bass this evening. Decent fish about 21/2 lbs. caught in 12' of off colored water with a culprit worm in red shad.  The bite was light but detectable.  As I was cranking down I felt him again and used a side sweep hook set to get him.  I really love catching bass using new techniques. this thread was very helpful.  Keep it coming guys.

I landed a 4.10lb. largemouth this evening rigged as described in the first post.  A 3/4 oz. brass weight and ticker with a glass bead on 30# braid.  I was useing a Pumkin seed colored Gene Larew Hoo Daddy in about 22' water next to a weed bed.  We also caught several others 2 1/2 to 3.25 lb. off of a watermellon candy fluke.  It was c-rigged with about a 3/8 oz. weight in very stumpy area.  We were fishing between 21' and 30' the heavier weight was just a little too much when pulling though the branches and thick weeds.  

Here is something I do a lot when I carolina rig I put a swimming rattle like the kind on a jig above my swivel. That way no matter if my weight and glass bead are rattling my swimming rattle I know is rattling. Also those no snag lindy rigs isn't a bad deal when having to fish deep stumps or rocks. It gets through the stuff great. Roller jigs or a football jig with a spider grub on the bottom with a worm dropshot above it can be the ticket on long sloping sand points.