Sign in to follow this  
Guest avid

ATTN: Horney toad users

Guest avid

What color and what method works best for you?  the horney toad has been pretty good to me.  I had a bag  of white that I fished with a screw in weight.  I would buzz em a little they let em sink, or just cast em to weed line and let em sink.  I then got the black and white swirl and the bite dropped off.  So I'm wondering what colors and technique Y'all are using

Last spring I pitched a watermelon in bass beds. I just got me some white ones to fish my tournament next month. I was going to use it like a buzz bait.

I have found that the darker colors work best. I have tried the white and the natural frog color and they didn't produce nearly as well as the darker green ones. The bass seem to pick up on the dark one better.

Yea, You kinda got to start reeling them in before they hit the water.

how do you rig these. with what type of hook, any weight at all or not?

how do you rig these. with what type of hook, any weight at all or not?

My partner uses Horny Toads, I use Sizmic, we both prefer black. He uses 5/0 EWGs, I use 4/0 or a Mustad  Ultra Point with a "Gripper Keeper." Both of us fish them weightless.

Zoom brought out a special hook for the Horny Toad. Guys have complained that the bait tears after a fish or two. The special hook is, I think, a 5/0 EWG with a corkscrew keeper which supposedly extends a bait's life.

Well, overall we had a tough night .  On a positive (kinda) note, I had about 6 swipes on the frog out of maybe the 30-40 casts with it.  When I got back in the pads near sunrise, A monster broke hard on somthing on the surface, I mean, the kind of violent strike that makes your hair  stand up and you can't get a cast in there quick enough.  Anyway, through the frog, and SMACK,..GOOD HOOKSET (UNLIKE THE PREVIOUS 5 STRIKES) and then she wrapped me and broke me off.  No idea of size but no minnow,lol.  Oh well, I'll keep tryin'

hey LBH how were you rigging the Zoom Horny Toad

just like a fluke.  t-rig.  5/0  ewg  no skin hook, lays on back pretty tight so I didn't skin hook it