Sign in to follow this  
jcrazy

Original Spook

who created the original spook? i see excalibur has them an so does heddon, is 1 of these 2 the creator of the spook? or did somebody else create it

Good question!!! I'm not sure but i think the word "Zara" has something to do with it too. Sounds like some more research is needed here.

BigBill

The Spooks sure do get some of the best attention in topwater action its the walk your dog approach that does it. Its the zig / zag that does and remember to pause too. Give it three twitches and pause then repeat. When you get that presentation down perfect there's no better action than topwater action with a zara spook. Take your time with a spook its a fish calling bait too. So fan cast the area then start all over again go slow they will come!!!!. Spooks are great for topwater action at dawn and dusk.

BTW; Don't pass up those cheap imitations too they work good too. I carry a little selection of everything colors and sizes. If ya caught a few fish on a spook and the action slowed down change colors first. If your still not getting any action put on a spook with a prop!!!

I believe heddon made it first.  Also, excalibur is just a series of "ultra" versions of many lures made by companies owned by cotton cordell, Heddon included.

sidenote- The excalibur super spook if the best spook ever made by any company!  JMO

Low Budget is on the right track. Pradco took over Heddon, Cordell, Smithwick, and others companies several years ago. Originally. the Zara was called the Zaragossa, supposedly for the way the girls moved on a street by the same name in a southern town, (perhaps New Orleans).  The Zaragossa was made of wood, but when Heddon began making plastic baits their code name for plastic was " spook" regardless of the lure.  (This was told to me by a fellow whose private collection rivaled today's Bass Pro.) So the first plastic line Zara became known as the Zara Spook probably back about 60 years now.  The Excaliber series came out about 10 years ago about the time Pradco took over. Maybe the hooks and colors are diferent or better.  Don't know for sure.  Nothing is simple anymore.

oops, my mistake, Pradco was what I meant, thanks Nick.  

Also the excaliber offers gammy hooks, super sized rattles, 5 3/8" super-size body and fantastic, detailed finishes.

It's the mack daddy of spooks!

Nick-good stuff, How come this stuff wasn't in my history books when I was in school??

I wish I had saved all the old Heddon catalogs from the 60's.  You wouldn't believe the craftmanship and the prices!  Meadow Mouse, Wounded Spooks, Lucky 13, Sonics, Tiny Torpedo, River Runts et al.

Garcia also used to have a yummy fishing annual with unbelievable pics and details of all their reels  when they were the only ones with baitcasters. I'll bet you could find a good history of the Heddon Company somewhere in cyberspace.