Sign in to follow this  
DustinK

Where, where, where?

Me and my dad always go fishing, and we never seem to get anything worthwhile anymore.. We used to go and bring in nice catches.. What went wrong, I have no idea.. We've got new gear, and better rods, ect.. Now, we're gonna go to Santee State Park and put in and fish around the i-95 bridge and the canal near those new Condos that stole our favorite spot. It's suppose to be a fullmoon tonight, and we're going out tomorrow morning.. It may rain, but I don't care and he dosen't care.  Our tackle is a few spinners, couple buzz, a few jigs, worms, cranks, rattlers, ect.. Pretty good selection, and catifsh rigs.. I'm hoping to land some nice bass along the dges of the canal, but don't know what to use.. The water is usually I'd say about 70 degrees or so and ethier light mud or clear. I usually use a 2 blade spinner with a green grub or a white rooster tail spinner. Any ideas?

Hey Dustink I think that you should use some berkely power worms i would grab The purple and pumpkin seed colors and just Texas rig it up and im sure you can get a few nice bass, even your lures sounds pretty good

I've been hearing alot about pumpkin seed. Do those garlic scented tubes work? I just don't know where the fish are!

I would love to find some 70* water!  I know where I would be fishing all the time!  

If the canal isn't very deep, I would try to fish a crankbait around the edges.  Quick way to cover water, and to find some active fish.

I would also give a suspending jerkbait a try.  I am starting to sing the praises of these lures, since I started using them.   ;D

To fish the edges of canals where fish are known to be, I would have 6 methods to try - 1) flip a 1/4 oz jig and pig (full size pork frog, I prefer blue), 2) pitch a 6" worm with a 3/16" oz weight (blue again), 3) a floating, deep diving (6-8') crankbait (blue and chartruese with an orange belly, and 4) a white 3/8 oz spinnerbait with a single chrome colorado blade (or a tandem gold and chrome), 5) a noisy top water and 6) a quiet topwater.

Between dark and the time the sun comes up use the top waters.  If there is some wind or chop in the water use the noisy one, other wise use the quieter one.  keep the bait between the bank and the point where the drop off into the channel occurs.

Try the spinnerbait and crank baits first (they're faster to fish) by throwing as close to the bank as possible.  If it looks like you're spooking fish or not getting any strikes more than a few feet off the bank, switch to the jig&pig or worm.  Look for shaded areas or the shady side of the canal when the sun is fully up.

Sometimes fish have there nose right up at the edge of the bank and you have to throw onto the bank and pull the bait slowly into the water to avoid spooking them.  I have caught dozens of fish off a canal bank by throwing on the bank first when I couldn't buy a strike on the same lure softly flipped into the water.

Jeez, our luck just sucks. Spent the whole day out there and only have a small striper and a couple bream to show for it. Ugh!