Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeyes18

Rate: Fishing On The Edge

Just today I picked up a copy of Mike Iaconelli's book Fishing On The Edge.  Iaconelli is my favorite fisherman, I just love the passion and energy he brings to the sport.  I haven't started reading yet as I have much homework tonight, but I plan to soon.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have read the book, and if so how you feel about it and it's author?

The book wasn't what I expected.  I thought it would have been a lot more informative.  The information he does give in the book is pretty basic stuff.  That being said, I still thought it was a great book.  It made me realize that fishing for a living is not all fun and games and it can be a tremendous drag on your personal life.  I guess I really didn't realize how many days those guys are on the road.

I would give it a 10/10 rating. It is a great book. I went into it knowing that it wasnt really informative, so it was what i expected, awesome. It truly shows the agany and pain, and happiness that pro fishing brings. i would recommend this book to anybody.

I'm with Brad but someone will have to let me borrow it seeing how I refuse to purchase it after that '05 Classic manuever he pulled.

I am in no way a big fan of Mike although I do respect him for his drive and accomplishments! That said, I would say that I'd rate his book a 10 out of a possible 10. This was the easiest reading book I've read in many years even though it's not packed with information. I also purchase KVD's book at the same time, Secrets of a Champion. I still haven't read all of it. I keep falling asleep on it. That said, it only took me 2 evenings to read Mikes book!

I won't contribute to the juvenile delinquency of Mike!  I will recommend the following reading:

Them Ol' Brown Fish -- Billy Westmoreland

Slider Fishing -- Charlie Brewer

Knowing Bass -- Dr. Keith Jones

Big Bass Magic -- Doug Hannon

any of the Infisherman handbook series.

Use your time on earth wisely and try to get something worthwhile from your reading.

yes some people here may not like him. That really isn't reason enough to avoid his book. Fine don't buy it but borrow it from the library. Yes it is a very easy read and there isn't much fishing information. I don't think thats why he wrote it. After reading the book you can begin to understand what he does and what he's gone through to achieve what he has. Definitely check it out, it's well worth the reading time.

I read the book just before the Classic and found it real interesting how he got to be the way he is.  I also enjoyed reading about how he brings his passion into his fishing on and off the water.  If I had the patience to do that much research, I might be a better fisherman than I am.

Another good book, that is not a lot of "how-to" stuff (some though) that is a wonderful read, is "Think Like a Fish" by Tom Mann.  In another day and time, he might have been the IKE that everybody has an opinion about.

I read it in two days.

Very interesting book.  Really enjoyed it.

I hope Ike can get outside companies to sponsor the pros and tournaments as he suggested in his book.

Like I said in an earlier post, we have lots of young kids that play sports and are into fishing so the Bassmaster and FLW tours would be a fantastic advertising venue for such manufacturers as Bike, Spaulding, Louisville Slugger, Champion, Adias, Nike, New Balance and others.

And what about the soft drink companies? Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, etc. would do great.

Any other suggestions as to vendors to advertise and sponsor the pros and events or should we do a separate post?