Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

locating fish

I am having trouble finding summer bass. In the spring and fall, I can catch them on spinnerbaits, worms, and stuff like that in shallow water. I only have minimal luck fishing the shallows in the summer. I cant find any structure because i dont have any electronics on my little boat, and the lakes i fish arent mapped. Help!

1. Look at the lay of the land and banks you are fishing. You may be able to get some general ideas of the slopes, flats and channels.  2.  A decent depthfinder goes for $100 or less,  get one. 3rd.  Use trolling a deep diving bait to get an idea of the depths.  4. Use a heavy jig to do the same while casting. 5.  Fish early and look for schooking activity.  Often this occurs around places that have deeper water holding places that bass relate to.

When I fish small lakes that dont have maps made from them I use my little boat with a deck and a trolling motor. No electronics.  I still catch alot of fish deep.  Like others have said the structure that surrounds the lake will give you a good lay of the underwater environment.  Durring summer try to fish main lake structure like points and especially bluffs because bluffs are easy to spot and are really good structure for bass in the summer and winter, when they are near deep water.  Bluffs are great because they give bass the ability to move from deep to shallow with minimal energy, and they are easy to fish.  I like to use plastic jigs like twintail jigs with a half ounce.  Also fish them with small worms and grubs on slider jig heads in 1/8-

1/4 oz or on drop-shot rigs.  Fish parallel to the bluff and hop the baits down the small shelves that dot the bluff.  On other structure in the main lake try a Caronlina rigged worm of your choice.

Sounds like what I fish so heres what I do...

1) Fish any kind of moving water or current

2) Look for green weeds which will enrich the water with oxygen and help cool the water

3) Carolina rig deeper water feeling for brush or rockpiles

4) Fish topwater early and late

5) Throw little finesse worms

6) Fish shady sides of docks, or tree shadows

definitely try to fish deep between two points.  try trolling them maybe if they're far away.  go from the edge of one point, to the edge of the other.