Sign in to follow this  
Bigbass191

Jig question

I have a question i have never used bass jigs but all this talk about them has got me interested would they work were i fish in a pond with some weeds and fallen trees and one dock and i was thinking about getting a stacy king one  and what size should i get in the end any jig info would be wonder full thanks bye  :)  Oh i forgot how do you swim a jig.  ;)

I feel that jigs will work anywhere that an angler cares to fish them.  

I would go with a 1/4 oz. blue/black Strike King Pro Model jig, and add a blue fleck Zoom Super Chunk as a trailer.

Fish it in the thickest stuff you can find, and be sure to try it around the dock.

To swim the jig, use a high speed reel, and literally swim it.  When I swim the jig, I will choose what depth I want it to stay around, and will get it down there, and just reel it back, and add a twitch every now and then.

If you're just trying out jigs, buy a dark color like black - not black/blue, black/red, etc. - just black.  Then you can match up some blue, red, chartreuse, etc. colors for the trailers.  That way, you can experiment with color easier without changing jigs.

To go along with the black one, I would get a green pumpkin or watermelon color.  These will match up well with green pumpkin, watermelon, cinnamon or brown trailers.

Now you have a dark and a natural color.

For weight, I would go with a 1/4 oz.  Heavy enough to work on the bottom and light enough to swim.  

For swimming, just cast out and then starting reeling the jig back when it has reached the desired depth.  Add some rod twitches here and there to give it some action.  A little practice and you will learn some good retrieves.

Good luck!

Brad

How can you call yourself BigBass if you don't fish jigs? LOL Anyway the two previous posts will get you started.  Try to buy a jig with a cone shaped head with a line tie coming out the front if possible to minimize weeds tangling around the line tie.  If that is a major problem, do minimize the weight.  When I swim my jig, most of the time I cach more when trailed with a single tail 4-5 in. grub close in color to the jig. Keep you rod tip at about 10:00 pointed toward the jig to help with hook setting.  A light wire high quality hook without a wedguard really helps the hooking percentage.

Make sure to spool up with some braided line, youll need it. To learn how to fish a jig: The post before me give you all you need, except for the time it takes to learn it. If you truly want to fish a jig right, you have to go out 2 or 3 times and fish it ALL Day.

All of the above is great advice.  One thing I do as soon as I buy a jig is modify the weed guard.  I trim all the strands so that when you push them down to the hook, they go just past the hook tip by about 1/16" to 1/8".  This will help with hookups.

If you want to increase your hookup percentage but don't want to remove the weed guard entirely, you can remove (cut) some of the strand off.

You can also trim the jig skirt up too if desired.  I generally don't do alot with the skirt though.

I say give it a shot.  The pond sounds like it's got some good cover to fish a jig around.  Like previously mentioned, jig fishing takes practice so don't be discouraged it at first you don't succeed.

Pork Trailer - today was the first day I tried a Jim and when I went to add the pork trailer, I couldn't get the hook through the tough skin. Am I doing this wrong? Are you not suppose to penetrate the skin or is it just double tough and maybe your suppose to cut a whole in there first?

There should be a hole pre punched in the pork. Sometimes you got to work the hook some to get it through it.