Sign in to follow this  
ShortWaterBass

Bass Caves

I fish this 25 acre "pond" on a regular basis and it has a canal that flows about 5 or 6 miles out of it into a larger 20,000 acre lake.  The canal is maybe 4-5 feet deep at it's deepest and in the winter time water stops flowing so the pond is still full of water but the canal dries up...there are maybe 30-40 old coyote dens dug down in the walls of the canal that they use in the winter.  I was just curious if bass would tend to hide in those caves when the water comes back in the spring, and if it would be worth marking the holes this winter.  Thanks for any info

only one way to find out!! id say go for it, since the only thing you have to loose is some time.  is there a current in the canal during the summer?  if there is, then those holes are likely hotspots for bass sheltening from moving water and using the current like a food conveyor belt.

yea there is current all summer when the water is up, and there are many bass in there early summer but i don't remember where all those holes are to throw somethin at 'em.  They are in random spots all the way down the canal.  Thanks for the info I think I might have to mark them this winter  ;D

A GPS would be great for marking the holes, that way other anglers can't discover your markers and you won't get lost.

Yeah it kinda sounds like a flathead home.