Sign in to follow this  
ECP1989

Shallow Winter Fishing

The lake I fish is in it's Winter pattern. It's been raining alot recently and the lake has come up fast and the water is muddy. There are tulles, logs, and bridge with cement footings. I was wondering what you would suggest throwing. Should I try pitching at shallow water cover during the winter? Will there be fish there?

Thanks

Here in FL, the shallow water fishing has fallen off a bunch during our "winter".  Senko's have worked well in the past but not now.  Caught one 12" today but it was in about 8 ft of water.

My cousin caught a 4 1/2 lb bass in 3 ft of water with a small chartruese spinnerbait last week.Not sure what the conditions were,but it is a pretty clear lake typically and it's been in the high 20's low 30's every night for a while.Water temp couldn't be that high.

Guest avid

After alot of rain when the lake is high and muddy is one of the most challenging times on many lakes.  I like to go big and noisy.  I'll throw ratltraps, topwaters, big spinnerbaits, and big dark colored jigs.  One pattern you may want to try on a sunny afternoon is pitching a jig into the "new" cover created by the higher water.  

Guest camdynfish

I partly agree with avid in that you will need to fish with baits that make alot of noise.  They will need to be really dark in color, for example, use a black spinner bait with a single colorado blade or a blk/blu jig with a trailer and rattles.  If that is not your cup of tea then use dark colored lizards or worms.  You didn't mention how cold it is so I'm just going to say stay away from the topwater baits due to the fast rising water and change in the water conditions.  I think they will be holding tight to mid to deep cover.  Hope this helps and good luck.

I agree with the spinnerbait.  I'd get one with a big colorado blade for lots of thump and lots of lift so that you don't have to reel it too fast.  I also agree with the dark colour.  A perfect one would be the Booyah moon talker or the Terminator T-1 night fishing spinnerbait.  If the dark colour's not working you could take the opposite route and go with chartreuse.  It's usually a big producer for me in muddy water.

I'd also try a jerkbait.  Something with a bright, holographic finish that will be visible.

Ended up catching only 1 fish but it was 3 pounds. My first fish of 06 and it was on a jig, my fourth Jig fish so far.

Even though I'm late to this party I'd like to validate what was previously said.  I fished yesterday morning at a freshly rained on muddy lake and caught 3 fish on 3 different lures; half ounce Freny Rattlr in bass pattern, Husky Jerk in bass pattern and a wacky rigged 5" pumkin Senko.  All of these were fished in the 5 - 8 foot deep range.