Sign in to follow this  
Guest BassPro#09

What is best?

Guest BassPro#09

I'm 15 years old and i live in northern ontario, Canada. We do hold some of the continents best bass fishing lakes, but i want to become serious. Now i have been told MANY different techniques about bass fishing in heavy cover, but there are so many possibilities, that i end up buying practically one of every lure, getting snagged and loosing those lures, and constantly keep changing my lures as a result of no progress/strikes. Honestly, i've put more into the water than i have brought out, and i want to know an effective way to catch bass in weedy area's. i have taken notice to rigging a plastic worm "texas style", but i'm still a bit cautious as to using it; i mean...how will the hook set if its not even exposed?

can somebody help me out on the best lure(s) in weeds, techniques, colors...ANYTHING that will help me catch more bass?

texas rigging is probably the #1 thing i would recommend.

you asked how the fish get caught with this rig....the hook is inside the plastic, correct, but you pull when you feel a fish, and the hook becomes exposed...man this is hard to explain over the net lol.

you have the hook inside the bait, the fish takes the lure, so when you're pulling (hooksetting) the hook then PULLS through the bait, making the hook penetrate the fishs lip.

i would also recommend a jig w/ a weedguard on it. same thing applies really. the hook is usually not going to catch on anything during retrieve, so when the bass picks it up, you hookset the jig as well.

You want to flip something compact like a flipping tube, Tube craw, or a creature bait. You don't want something that will hang up and will make its way to the bottom. Micro Munch makes a sweet beaver style bait called a Flipping Platypus that would be perfect. I flip a crawfish made by Bitter's that works great in grass also. It doesn't have the legs that stick out so it slips in weeds great. The main thing is to use something compact that will not hang in it. I usually rig mine Texas rigged but I bring it exposed then re-stick the tip of the hook to keep it weed less. If you have any open spots there is a tube out made out of that stretchy material like the 3 x by Strike King that will let the bait fall real slow. Make sure that you use some kind of spray scent because it will help the bait slip through the weeds. (use Braid)

to the forum

Guest BassPro#09

What is a hook/weedguard, anyways? ive heard about weedless hooks...but i dont know how they work. do they have no barbs or something? and if you can explain this to me, will they carry it at bass pro shops? i can pick it up on friday, my dads taking me

What is a hook/weedguard, anyways? ive heard about weedless hooks...but i dont know how they work. do they have no barbs or something? and if you can explain this to me, will they carry it at bass pro shops? i can pick it up on friday, my dads taking me

I think they're talking about a weedless bass jig. BPS sells tons of these so you'll have a pretty good selection. Here are the ones I like:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=51620&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Note the weedguard. It's made of a bunch of fibers (is that what they're called?) that are stiff enough to stop weeds from hanging on it but soft enough to bend back and expose the hook on the hookset. I hope that answers your question.

For heavy cover or low visibility water, I like to have rattles on the jig. The one in the link comes with rattles on it, but they are removable for more open water situations or clear water where you might not want them on the jig.

Put a soft plastic or pork trailer on these jigs to give it some extra action, give it a slower fall, and to make the bass hold on to it for longer. I like YUM chunks for trailers and this past year I've had good success with strike king 3x trailers.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58615&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=51902&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Welcome to the forum :)

Guest avid

You are obviously very eager to learn as much as you can as quickly as possible. There are a ton of excellent articles on this website alone.  just go to the home page and click on 'featured articles' or "seasonal articles"  I would especially recommend that you read the articles under the link to "For Beginners".  The wealth of information that Glenn has provided is there for you. Use it.

As far as catching bass with out snagging.  Buy some 5" Senko's in colors with watermelon or pumpkin in the name.   Go to the fishing dept. or a local tackle shop.  Tell the salesperson that you want some good "offset worm hooks" and ask him to show you the texas rig.  If you texas rig a 5" senko and throw it near weeds YOU WILL CATCH BASS>  You must have confidence that they work. A medium heavy rod is plenty strong enough to penetrate the soft plastic in the senko.

Now read read read the articles provided here.  Buy some senko's and catch some bass.

By the way.  Aren't the lakes in Northern Canada frozen over?

Seems like you have a serious case of Cabin Fever eh?  

This article will help you rig Texas-style. Rig your EWG hook the "Tex-skin-on-top" way shown way down the article and your hook will be "weedless" but won't have to pierce the worm, Senko, etc. on the hookset as it's already all the way thru the bait. Don't be afraid to throw a soft-plastic bait anywhere with it rigged like that.

Here is the weedless hook I use when wack-rigging which is an alternative to Texas-rigging. Wacky-rigging is shown in that article too.

product-animation.gif

That's a weedless, wacky-rigged Senko; the yellow one.

Btw, wherever you were schooled, they did a great job! You posts were written very well :).

Dan

[

Guest BassPro#09

haha yeah, im in the northern part of southern ontario...centralish if you will. but god news, it warms up in thr spring, and summer, and guess whos goin fishin on the first day of spring!!!

thank you for your help you guys. i will be sure to do my homework on this page, as i have hooked into my first 6 pounder bass when i was 13 and now...i just cant rest till i get another one NOT BY FLUKE!