Sign in to follow this  
Master_Hunter_1977

Neat tricks

I thought I would just start a plug on this site about your neat tricks.  What do you do that is a little different than the average person that helps you catch bass throughout the year.  Smallmouth and largemout.  If you would specify what species your fishing for.  For example I don't know how much of trick it is but a couple of things I do is.  In the spring I use a 1/2 oz spinner bait head and large collorado blades.  I know tipically that collorado blades when fished make the bait have lift.  But when paired with a larger spinner bait head and fished really slow you are able to fish deeper water.  And the colorado blades put off a ton of vibration.  I believe this helps me with acracting the fish in the spring,  because where I fish this time of year the warter is murky.  This tacktic works well on smallmouth and largemouth.  

Other tricks that would be cool to read about would be how do you alter your baits to make them more productive?

Good luck fishing

Scott

I alter most of the baits in my box in one shape or form which one do you want? Sometimes I change it because it is a jedi mind trick other times it is because it works. Here is one you take a plastic crawfish and take some round rubber skirt and thread it through a needle and poke it through the crawfish to make legs. Then you take a split ring and attach it to the hook and add a small willow leaf blade to the split ring. When the bait falls the blade will pivot back and forth.

Here's a few I do, some may seem gimmicky but they work for me:

1. Replace the front hook of a Shad Rap SR5 with a Mustad #4 treble....it now suspends (balsa version).

2. Run a toothpick through the worm hook eye AFTER it is imbedded in the plastic.  Now trim it flush with the bait.  The plastic bait won't slide down the hook as easily.

3. Replace the skirt of a buzzbait with a tube.  You'd be amazed how far you can wing it!

4. Use a red glass bead between the worm hook and bullet sinker when night fishing.

5. Always remember to put the plug in!lol

If you dropshot, you know that it is difficult to store and those dropshot weights with the clip either snap the line or fly off on the cast. I tie a simple overhand knot with a 1-2"loop on the tag end. This way you can secure the weight by threading the loop through the eye of the weight, then drop the weight through the loop, but it is still easy to change. When you are done dropshotting you can slide the loop over the butt of your rod handle, reel up the slack and it is secured for storage. The loop is not a strong knot, so when you snag, the loop will break. You will lose the cheap weight, but save your hook.

Also, if you dropshot in grass, use the cheap "walleye" style weights (BPS has them). They are thin and do not have the grass grabbing clip that a standard dropshot style weight has.

If you slightly bend the eye, on a line tie,of a flat a deep runner it will run to the side.I do this and cast right next to shallow docks.It will run under the dock and hit the bottom then come up and hit the top.This works great in the fall.

Guest avid

The technique I humorously refer to as "Avid's famous finesee baitcasting system"  It works very well and is my go to presentation in tough situations.  

It is a very light baitcasting rod (GLoomis CR721C) paired with a light and very smooth reel (Daiwa TD-Z).  I load the rod up with 50# power pro, and tie on about 2 1/2 feet of 8lb test Trilene XL as a leader.  Then I tie a #1 or 1/0 owner mutu light circle hook and a 4 3/4" zoom finesse worm.  I put a 1/64th water gremlin bullshot about 4 inches ahead of the worm.  Then I hook the worm in a modified Texas rig.  I'll photo it one of these days and post it.  But it goes into the worm head like a regular t-rig but I bend the worm forward just a little and very lightly bring the point of the hook up through the bottome and just lay the bend of the hook alongside the worm and nip the skin of the worm with the point of hook to make it weedless.  

I then cast right into the reeds, exposed grass and lillypads.  by twitching the rod tip with alot of wrist action the worm "walks the dog" just under the surface. If it very calm water the weight can be removed or if needed I'll go up to 1/32 oz.  Never heaveir. I want that worm swimming right through the weeds just inches from the surface.

I have experience doing this using spinning tackle. The worm will spin and turn over causing wholacious line twist.  I tried everything.  ball bearing swivels, even using two swivels, but nothing worked.  I HATE LINE TWIST>  So I adapted modern baitcasting gear to a finesse techniqe.  I can't tell you exactly how many bass I have caught using this tecnique, but it easily numbers in the hundreds.  Most are "keepers" but I have caught 3 and 4 lbers as well.

Plus, it's just so dang much fun.  ;D

I do this a lot in Florida it is called swimming a worm. You take a large creme natural worm rig it Texas style no weight. (make sure the tail is white) You cast it out and let it fall you reel down to the worm and drag it to the side while you quiver the rod. The worm will run with it's head straight and the tail will paddle around like a snake but exaggerated. This is a great summer bait in stained water go with a junebug.

Double fluke great schooler bait. You rig one fluke up on a short leader tied to a barrel swivel and another fluke tied to a longer barrel swivel. You thread the short leader fluke up your line then tie on the second swivel. You want the lead fluke to be just a inch ahead of the other. When you work the bait both flukes go in different directions and when you stop spooking them one will follow the other. Sometimes if you jerk it just right one will shoot up the line.

avid, can you post a picture? From what im getting is that it is like a very light weight splitshot/ carolina rig but all downsized, and with the weight up next to the worm and fished differently.

Guest avid

rockinfish,  as i said in my post, one of these rainy days i'll take some photos and post them.   This is exactly a split shot rig.  what makes it more suitable to light baitcasting is that by "crimping" the front of the worm so that it does not lay straight but rather has a bend it between the hook eye and the insertion point for the hook, this gives alot of twisty, snake like action to the worm.  the way i do it is to really get that worm moving // side to side, with little pops to the surface, then let it settle, jerk it like a fluke and back to the rapid side to side movement.  In my experience I could never use spinning tackle to accomplish this technique as aggresively as It needs to be on some occasions without getting miserable line twists.  I can use a very light casting rod (Loomis #1 power) because of the braid and the circle hook.  It is more aggresive than swimming a worm and the finesse worms make it a great fish catcher on those tough days.  Like Chris said.  I really works best in the summer, when the fish just don't seem interested in anything.  They will crush that little worm if presented properly.

as a sidenote, its possible to use just one barrel swivel, but I don't like having it slide all the way down to the hook. I like to setup a stopping point by using two barrel swivels and eliminating most any chance for line twist.

forgot to post the link to the single barrel way.

http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/ss/aa050805a.htm

I love to dropshot up here but I hate paying for those weights that half the time just dont stay on or break your line.  It may sound cheap but all I do is buy a bag of splitshots and use those instead.  If you get snagged you still only lose the weight and Id rather get 25 weights for 97 cents than 5 for 2.50!  (actually 2 or 3 cause the others cut my line.)

When I use a drop shot rig instead of using a weight, I use a jig as my weight and tie a 4 1/2 Curly tail Roboworm about 18" above it.

With a floating minnow,I'll add a little more red on a j-bait with a white belly.I use my wife's red fingernail polish.I also tie a piece of red yarn off of the rear treble hook on most topwaters to give the look of entrails hanging out of an injured minnow.

upsize hooks on smaller crankbaits

drill holes in my buzzbait blades

hook a piece of air conditioner filter soaked in scent under my jig skirts

paint some baits' red around the gills

weight jerkbaits and cranks

I learned this one at Bassmaster University. When using a palomer knot the excess line is pointing up which catches the weeds, so if you tie a simple overhand knot with the tag end the excess line points down.

I learned this one at Bassmaster University. When using a palomer knot the excess line is pointing up which catches the weeds, so if you tie a simple overhand knot with the tag end the excess line points down.

also do this on a drop shot rig if your hook is pointing down after you tie the knot. but you have to take the excess back through the hook eye.

Hey this is fun. You know how Senkos are forever wanting to slide back down over the eye of the hook when you are Texas rigging them on EWG hooks. I got really tired of it especially on the 7" ones when I fished them in deep weed. So now I first tie my line to a number 2 or number 3 black crosslock snap and then attach that to my hook. When I run the hook into the bait I just go enough deeper to allow the snap to be pulled into the head of the bait. Bait stays put and if I want to change out hooks no big deal.

If you are out experimenting with tubes hunting for the right color or size it can be a pain if you are using regular insert jig heads. So if I know I am going to be trying a number of different tubes I tie on a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. mushroom head jig and fish the tubes of that. The good ones have larger hooks like VMC Barbarians or Gammys so you get the same  good hooksets and the distribution of weight is such that you get a great glide out of the bait when you work it. If your looking for them check out Gopher Tackle or Stamina both have about the same thing. I fish grubs and worms and all sorts of plastic this way.

For those of you that live near salt water have you ever noticed the buckets of cheap 5 and 6 inch shad bodies that they sell for stripers and blues? Color is often called mackerel and is a blueish green tint with black bars on it. Grab a handfull the next time you intend to go weed or slop fishing, take one and rig it flat Texas style on a 4/0 or 5/0 EWG hook. I prefer the Gammy Super Braid ones but thats just me. Remember don't try to get the bait to ride normally upright but flat. Make sure you goop the bait up good with something Like Smelly Jelly to help it slide through the weed and for the aroma. At the lake find a big ole weed flat and just start winding the super mackerel out and working it on the surface like one of those fancy paddle/flap tail worms. Work it spluttering across the surface first and then if that doesn't do it let it drop into openings and twitch swim it along to the next weed. Nothing new here but it can be cheaper than some plastic if you keep your eyes open and big fish seem to like it if they are in the weeds.

Oversized split rings on my Sammies and Spooks help it have a little more freedom and action.

That'll be $99 please.