Sign in to follow this  
Reelwise

Water temp lower 40's, abnormally warm day

What would you do to get those lunkers out of a small Lake? Jerkbait, plastics, live? I have had great success with Senkos this time of the year, but wanna try something new without wasting my time. Anyoen have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Guest ouachitabassangler

Whenever I'm having great success with a bait I stick with it, experimenting when the bite dies.

Jim

After talking to you, and contemplating the things that you said, here is what I have come up with.

If the temps are in the 40's, as you say that they are, the bass are still going to be in a winter-time pattern.  That being that they will be in roughly the same areas that they are during the summer, except they will be more wide spread due to a better dissolved oxygen level.

It all depends on how good the bite on the Senko is...........if it's good, stick with it.  If it's not, then it's time to experiment.

As I told you in our IM, I would try a suspending jerkbait, and trying to find the happy medium that will make it neutrally buoyant, which will cause the lure to sit dead still in the water.  The bass will dictate the presentation.  At times, they may want it to be fast, while other times you have to twitch it, with dreadfully long pauses between the twitches.

Hope that this helps.  If the deeper water has brush, I would fish a jig with that, as I know that's a very successful pattern for winter fish.