Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

Skinny fish

I went out yesterday, caught a bunch, all were healthy, stout bass, including 2 running 2.5, 1 was 16" 3lbs. and some really chunky little guys. But when i hooked onto what looked like a monster in the water, i was kind of urked to see it weigh in at 4 lbs. 4 oz. It looked like a 6 lber in the water since it was over 20" long for sure, and i stuck my fist in it's mouth with over and inch to spare around my hand. Its head was HUGE!! Im curious if this was a spawned out female, since we just had a warm week (60-70) that i think might have triggered a couple fish.

You should not be able to put your fist into the mouth of a 4 1/2 lb bass with room to spare unless you've got really small fists.  I've caught fish like that before, my guess has always been they were sick or possibly had a parasite or infection causing them to grow abnormally.

Guest avid

I doubt if Michigan has spawned out females so early in the year.  Could be sickly.  Big headed short bodied bass usually mean overpopulated lake, but this sounds different. I can understand your disappointment but it doesn't sound like bass was too far off.  That being said, when I see a bass that I have real concerns about it's health I do not throw it back.  I don't eat it either.  I kill it quickly and toss it up on the bank. Gator food.

It was an old fish if it had not spawned yet. Eau Claire, MI (slow growth rate)

average weight for a 20" largemouth is 4.5lbs.  Sounds to me like your fish was pretty spot-on.  The numbers would give it a 94% Relative weight, which is pretty dang good.  

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start to catch more and more like that..especially if you have some 16"/3lb fish swimming around.  Thats pretty dang healthy.

:'(  Let's hope that skinny bass didn't have LMBV.  If others turn up, please inform your DNR.

Chris!  Are you a cousin?  If you live in or near Eau Claire, MI, then you know the Bruces, some Murphies (esp. the late Reva), and all the places my Mother grew up.  We have a little cottage on Smith Lake, home of the world's tastiest bluegills and a once-or-twice a year good bass lake.  

Do let me know.  Our name is Hauck.

--Poor Richard

-----------------------

Total fishing wisdom:  "The fish are biting or they're not."   :D

rocknfish9001 is from Eau Claire, MI not me. ;D

Guest avid

I believe that I am the long lost relative you are seeking.  Can't wait to see you.  Send me an airline ticket.  I'll bring my rods.  See ya soon cuz.  ;D ;D

Several factors that can cause such a thing to happen to a fish like that . disease, over population and probably the #1 cause would be AGE!  The fish is just getting old

that pond is loaded with bigguns. My neighbor caught one 20", 6lbs. I caught 2 that were 20" 5.5lbs, and 19" around 5lbs. (the one on my profile pic) These fish are really usually healthy, so this is weird. A fish witht this much lenght could go over 6 if it was built like the others that come out of here.