Sign in to follow this  
Valascus

Fishing a cold front...

This weekend I am going to go back out to Busch Wildlife once more to face a new set of nasty conditions...a cold front is scheduled to roll through the St. Louis area Friday night into Saturday. What can I say...I am a glutton for punishment...cold water and heavily pressured waters. Bring the pain. The high Sat. is going to be 55 with a low of 35. The temps have been in the 50's for lows and as high as 76 over the past week and the weather has been pretty stormy lately...in fact they are predicting more severe weather tonight.

So...my question to everyone on the boards is, what is the most effective way to fish a front such as this one? Should I change my approach at all? Are certain types of baits more effective than others in these conditions? Thanks to anyone in advance for any input.

slim down everything.  line, rod power, sinker weights and soft plastics.  when a cold front goes threw, i have a small crawdad with a 1/16oz weight rigged, and a zoom finesse worm with a 1/8oz jighead.  these two setups will always catch me something.  i also use only 4, 6, or 8 during coldfronts.  go extremely slow with the baits and fish tight to cover

I would throw a jig tight to any thick cover.

the poor fish around here must be so puzzled by our crazy weather  :o

if i didn't have a huge marketing project to work on this weekend, i'd likely fish a jig as well.  If you're fishing shallow cover, go for a lighter(3/8 ounce) jig so the fall is slower for the sluggish feesh.

Let us know how you do, you're certainly more persistant than I am out there at Busch.

I agree with the previous posts...the fish are going to hold tighter to cover most likely in the shallow parts.  I think for this time of year, I would start off in the Northern arms of the lake since they seem to be the warmest.  Soft & slow presentation will be key.  If you are jigging, trim the skirts and keep the presentation to a minimum.  They will be skiddish and you will need to produce defensive or reaction type strikes.  Good luck, this is a crazy season to fish!

Alright. I got a couple spots I could pitch and flip about a 1/4oz. black/blue jig at. The choice will come in the trailer. I have some pretty small Arkie Crayfish that I could use for trailers or I could use some Uncle Josh #350 Ripple Rinds. That about all I have in the way of smaller trailers and jigs. I have a few 3/8 oz. but as senko said I'll try and use the smallest I got. I am already fishing on spinning tackle with 6 lbs test P-Line Cxx. So I'll give the good old jigs a shot. I'll post how I do in the fishing outings section.

Valascus,

We actually fished lake 6 yesterday. Terrible conditions, of course.  I caught one between the laydowns along the d**n and that was it.  Tried Ratler, cranks, Rogue, Yum Dinger, and baby brush hog.  Therefore, I agree with the folks here that know what they are doing-toss a jig around those laydowns and catch some fish.   :-/  

Let me know how you do.

Doug

Just recently a cold front came through and we managed to catch some pitching tubes tight to cover, senkos in 5-10 ft. grass, and a suspending jerkbait over the grass.

I'd pitch/flip a tube/jig tight into heavy cover.I'd also downsize to a 3/16 spinnerbait and throw into that same heavy cover looking for a reaction bite.If I had some heavy grass I'd pitch a tube or creature bait into the mats with a 1 ounce weight ,trying to punch a hole through the mat to the bass below.

I fished last weekend and the water temps were 44º. I pitched a bitsy bug jig 3/16 oz and that worked okay for a bit. Then I switched to a small 4" slider worm and just slowly dragged it, if I did anything at all. My partner and I ended catching 12 bass that day. Pretty good for this early in the year up here in da north.

We've got a nasty cold front coming in tonight too. It's going to get down to 20º overnight and then slowly rise back into the 50s by afternoon tomorrow. I plan on throwing that black worm again, but I'm also going to try a craw on a stand-up jig and see what a slow twitching fluke will do for me too.

Let us know how you do down in Missouri!

I hope the image of the current weather radar shows up below. I am in Mississippi. As you can see, I'm about to have a cold front come through tonight/tomorrow. We have had extemely strong thunderstorms, hail, wind, and tornadoes. Tomorrow is suppose to be partly sunny with a high of 69. I plan to fish Ross Barnett Reservoir for the first time (110 miles south of my home). Am I stupid or just plain dumb for even leaving the house? Is there any possible chance to even catch a fish after such weather??? The reason I'm going there to fish is because I'm picking up my boat in Jackson, MS from having repairs done. I plan to fish sllllllooowwwwww and will give you guys feedback tomorrow night. Here is the current radar: http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg

curwx_600x405.jpg

I'll let everyone know how I do todaay in the fishing outings section. I think I am going to mainly fish a 1/4 oz. blue black jig. That or I can t-rig some black 7" power worms. I don't know what the water temps are but man...it has been nice temp wise the last week heck it hit 80 degrees yesterday for crying out loud. if the jigs or power worms do not work I'll just work my way through my tackle box until I find a pattern that works...which I WILL find. ;) Like I said...I'll let everyone know what worked...and I'll be armed with the good 'ole digital camera. I am shoving off here in a few hours...wish me luck!

Valascus,

All the lakes around this side of the river are in the 50s and 60s.  Washington County yesterday hit 66 degrees in some spots.  I'm fishing a small lake in Pontoon Beach today and plan on throwing a spinnerbait all day.  The sweet beaver and ol' monster  worm might get the nod too.  We'll trade reports tonight.  Good luck!

dink

Well - I've been waiting all week to get on the water only to have this same cold front sweep through our area - You guys have given me enough incentive that I might be able to catch a fish with slow presentations of finesse baits -- Glad I found this site - Even when I can't fish, I can learn from a lot of hours on the water experience from you all...

I hope the image of the current weather radar shows up below. I am in Mississippi. As you can see, I'm about to have a cold front come through tonight/tomorrow. We have had extemely strong thunderstorms, hail, wind, and tornadoes. Tomorrow is suppose to be partly sunny with a high of 69. I plan to fish Ross Barnett Reservoir for the first time (110 miles south of my home). Am I stupid or just plain dumb for even leaving the house? Is there any possible chance to even catch a fish after such weather??? The reason I'm going there to fish is because I'm picking up my boat in Jackson, MS from having repairs done. I plan to fish sllllllooowwwwww and will give you guys feedback tomorrow night. Here is the current radar: http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg

curwx_600x405.jpg

Tiki,I'm from Hattiesburg and fished that cold front this morning.I managed to catchn 7 dinks and had a big fish break my line.I caught them by pitching a watermelon tube into tight cover.I also caught a few throwing a downsized spinnerbait into the tight cover.Caught one splitshotting a watermelon w/chartreuse tail 3x lizard off a windswept point.

Valascus. Good luck out there. looks like it cooled off a ton last night.  

Its frickin freezing Mr. Bigglesworth!  :D

But seriously, good grief its cold.  I just walked my dog in the same stuff I walked her in last night and I had to cut the outing short due to not being able to feel my legs.

I had good luck yesterday, and the temp was in the 40s! Earlier this week it was 20+ degrees warmer. I caught 5 and missed twice as many on a 1/4 oz. smoke and red jig with a plastic crawdad trailer.