Sign in to follow this  
PondScum57

How would you fish this pond

Greetings, Summer is in full swing down here in Edinburg Tx in the lower Rio Grande Valley. Average temperature right now is a steaming 98-100 degrees. I normally fish the local 7 acre pond at our city park. This small pond has been stocked with bass and catfish by TP&W a couple of years ago. While I have no problems catching bass in the shallows during the Spring, I have been skunked during these last weeks of Summer. There are no boats allowed, so all my fishing is from the bank. My PB was a nice 4 pounder from this pond. This pond is difficult because it has no visible cover. None, what so ever. You see, our city officials have decided to add some dye to the water in order to deter any growth.  There are no reeds, cattails, or trees around the edge of the pond. No overhangs much less fallen timber. Although this dyed blueish body of water is beautiful to look at for people out for a picnic, it does present a problem to people out to fish. I don't know what the depth or bottom contour is since I cannot get my electronics because of the boat ban. I have caught most of my fish on plastic worms and a occasional spinner bait. Once again this was during the spring. How would you guys tackle this.  :-/ :'(

Probably I would cast some sort of soft plastic around the edges of the pond. Is there any type of drain or anything? If so, this is where you need to fish. ;)

I'd be slinging a carolina rig as far out there as I could and start working around the lake.  If you catch a fish, concentrate on that area, you may have found some sort of deeper water structure.  Lots of people toss baits along the bank or 20-30yds out but few get a bait out beyond that point.  I'd try a variety of soft plastics on that c-rig.

Like Cart said, dredge the entire pond with a C-rig, feel for any countour changes or cover, also a steep bank or incoming water would be a sure spot.

yeah.....just what they said.  your C-rig will be your substitute for electronics.