Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Fishing muddy water

I have a spot way out in the desert that holds water. Its an old Gravel pit and I fished it when I was a kid and know that back then there were some Bass and Yellow Bullheads in it. Its not very large at all,you could probably park 4 cars in it from one end to the other and as far as width its probably 2 cars wide. The water used to be semi clear. You could at least see things in the water,but now its all muddy water. Its been at least 15 years since I fished it and am not sure If theres any fish even in it anymore.Its actually such a desolate body of water and the water is so murky its almost spooky. How can I set my approach to finding out if theres still fish in it? I was thinking of going out there with some nightcrawlers to try to rouse up the Catfish. Thats easy enough. I see huge Bullfrog Tadpoles occasionally surfacing and have seen 2 huge turtles cruising the surface. Im not sure many people know about this Hole,and if they do I doubt people like to fish it cause its such a far walk. Would a Dark colored worm or lizard be a good approach?

I agree with both of you. I think you should probably try a spinnerbait with the a single colorado blade, the biggest blade you can find. Then bust out some topwater. Go with dark colors.

well if it is out in the desert you gotta think that every animal comes to drink from it.  I would go from there. I would tie on a big lizard trigged or a 10 inch worm to imitate a snake.