Sign in to follow this  
jeff4705

what to do when they are backing water?

Pulled water through dam yesterday and its backing all weekend,what would be best pattern?  Really aggravateing trying to catch them

I fish a lake that is back filling allmost every day. The key is when they are drawing water pay close attention to how deep the fish are holding. When they stop drawing water and start to back fill take out a crankbait that runs that deep and cast the open water within 100 yards of where you were catching them before. The fish will usually pull out of the current and suspend at that exat depth just off of the cover and they of course will be facing up current. If you are fishing a point and they start to back fill the fish will pull out directly off the point and suspend and the same depth as the structure they were on when they were holding on the point.

I fish several local lakes that back fill almost daily. One of these lakes has a lot of shallow cover consisting of laydowns and stumps. After this lake has been back filling a few hours the fish will usually move very shallow, a foot or less. There is also a lot of shaded areas on this lake because of standing timber along the shoreline.

May not apply to your situation, but I would try fishing shallow under these conditions. I

was told years ago " always fish the new water".

Good luck............Al