Sign in to follow this  
bass_finder

tough day

on a tough day fishin, when you arent gettin many bites, and the sun is heating down on you, what do you do. this happened to me today. i went out and after 2 hours i was sweatin, i had used nearly every lure i had in my box that was worth anything, and about 10 different soft plastics, and i had 2 bites to show for it. what am i supposed to do at this point? throw in the towel, or try something else?

You have to find the fish. About 20% of a lake holds 90% of the fish. So If the fish aren't where you are. Change location and/or depth. Find the baitfish and the bass might just be close by. In this hot weather with hot water temps many bass will move to deep off shore structure and hold there.

I agree.  I had the same exerience today.  I swore the fish were on a hunger strike.  I took the opportunity to troll some areas of the lake watching my sonar to familiarize myself with points, chanels and sructure.  I was also looking for fish of course.  This allowed me to cool off and still be productive.  Water temp was 89.  I don't blame the bass.  Probably feels like a 98 degree day with high humitidy and no wind does to us.

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1153010083]This Thread[/link]

well, the thing is, i was fishing a pond i have never fished before, and i was in a jon boat with a trolling motor. and crankbait was out of the question because the botom of the pond had tall grass, so if you were to throw a crank, it would get caught in the cover underneath.

On really sunny days like the one described, try to find the shade.... thats where the fish are. If shade in high in demand, fish deep. Throw a fat ika, or a nice plastic craw. If you find the shade, worm it.