Sign in to follow this  
Ridgerunner7

Drop shot technique question?

Trying to learn this technique.  My question is how do you locate the fish before you start fishing for them vertically.  I have a Lowrance Depth finder and I can find good structure, but it doesn't alway show fish holding tight to cover.  Do you drift while fishing it vertical or anchor in a spot that's holding.  Is it only for when fish are in tight schools and you can find them.  I want to learn it, but I'm just trying to imagine how this can be more efficient then casting and hitting multiple spots.  Thanks for the help?

Hey Ridge,

I have been dropshotting for a couple of years now and I have caught quite a few fish with this technique.  I do use my fish finder quite often to locate structure or deeper submergent vegitation.  I also use dropshotting for a lot of other applications.  From what I have learned it will produce in shallower water as well.  You can fish it straight down and you can fish in at an angle.  I usually like to find weedlines in 10-15 feet of water and do a control drift along the weedline.  You are more than likely going to get a lot of small bait fish hitting your worm but that is a good thing.  I have found that when the gills and other small fish are hitting it I usually will catch a bass very shortly after.  But your best bet is to go out there and try it yourself and find out what works for you.  The drop shot is a good technique to use when bass seem to be stubburn or suspended.  Good luck!

Todd

I usually fan cast a drop shot, just twitching and dragging it back to the boat. Using a Quickdrops Sinker really helps when it somes to sensitivity on this technique. I might locate a piece of cover, then I will get away from it and fan cast to it and around it, working it from different angles, then If I catch a fish I may go staright ovewr it and work it slower.