Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

on a new lake

Okay, i am going to fish this lake that i have only been on a few times. There are docks, but only some are really fishable, some are very shallow and choked out. Where should i go? There are some very weedy shallows, very deep water, some good flats a couple islands, some good wood, and i have NO ELECTRONICS!! Also, there are no topo maps of the lake. If your curious, it is pipestone lake, in case you have heard of it.

I would say you should fish the weedy shallows in the morning and maybe the docks, but when it starts to get hot move to the deeper water. Normally I would fish the docks in the middle of the day because bass go into shade, but after my recent outing I found that it's just too hot right now in the shallows, at least where I live. I couldn't even get a topwater bite going. Based on that, I would say your best bet would be the deeper water.

As he said, i would start with weedy shallows in the morning.  After the sun gets over head and it gets hot, move deeper.  Have no fear of not having electronics.  Rig up your rod with a carolina rig.  Toss it out there a ways and start dragging it around.  It will help you locate structure, drops, etc on the bottom.  It's also a very effective way of catching big bass in the heat of summer.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Jason

Without any electronics I would focus on the visbile cover whether it is grass, wood docks or other.  Fish shallow in low light and deeper as the sun brightens.

You don't have to fish super deep to find summer time bass if you have good vegetation.  Bass will be attracted to it because it puts out oxygen as it respirates and attracts tons of bait fish as well.  Look for the greenest grass you can find as it will most likely be creating the most oxygen.  In places like this bass have it all cover, food and O2.

If the water is clear I like to fish shallower weeds in the morning (up to 5ft or so).  Later in the day I do well in vegetation in water around 10 to 12'.  IN this situation I like to pitch trigs or jigs into the openings of the vegetation and let them fall straight down on a somewhat slack line.

Another option is to hit the docks or mats/lilly pads if any exist as the sun gets higher.  The brighter the better as some bass will seek refuge in the shade.

Good Luck! :)