Sign in to follow this  
mudcatwilly

Extreme Heat and Warm Water

In northern CA, we've had sustained temps above 113 in some places with lake temps in the 83 degree range.  The last report I read on my home lake is that the bass are nowhere to be found.  This lake is deep, up to 240 feet.  I know the bass are deep and hard to catch, but they still gotta eat.  It has been miserable.  The air is too hot, the water is too hot, and the bass are hiding and this is a huge lake.  I'd like some insights from you big water bass anglers on how to target these deep and seemingly sluggish bass.

unfortunately I dont have an answer to your question, but i do have a similar experience.  With the boat motor in the shop, I went my pond to do some fishing in an old john boat, being as the pond is about half an acre, its not big by any means.  However, the heat (I live in WI) conditions had evaporated a foot of water in a pond that runs 5 feet at its deepest.  With a large bass population for its size, and less water than ever, the fish should have been practically swimming on top of each other.  however, i caught two fish in two hours, before the heat forced me back to the house.

I used mostly plastics, texas rigged worms, some tubes, and just for *hits and giggles threw a topwater frog and a spinner, only seeing results on a texas worm.

what i wouldnt give for the spawn right now....

1. Arms - gotta hold that pole

2. My uhhhh, you know...other pole....and the tacklebox

In northern CA, we've had sustained temps above 113 in some places with lake temps in the 83 degree range. The last report I read on my home lake is that the bass are nowhere to be found. This lake is deep, up to 240 feet. I know the bass are deep and hard to catch, but they still gotta eat. It has been miserable. The air is too hot, the water is too hot, and the bass are hiding and this is a huge lake. I'd like some insights from you big water bass anglers on how to target these deep and seemingly sluggish bass.

I hear ya man! Its kept me inside. I went to amador the other day and ended up coming home after a hour. Thought it was a little better on the way home so I stopped at lake natomas. Wrong it was just as hot! Im laying off until it cools off. Way too hot out! Fish +1 me 0

Guest ouachitabassangler

If they are there try to spot with sonar to eliminate unproductive water. Keep the boat moving no faster than moderate trolling motor speed, use high gain (sensitivity) setting. Troll a large spoon or heavily weighted 6"+ tube, soft swim bait, 1.5 oz spinnerbait, etc.  You can get crankbaits down a lot deeper than rated by sinking them with a heavy sinker a few feet below the bait. You really need to know the position of any thermocline in the lake, as bass will normally be at or above that level. It appears as a band across a sonar screen. At least try to spot schools of baitfish suspended deep, usually down to a thermocline. If you can't do that then get a digital thermometer with a long lead and lower it slowly monitoring water temp. If you notice a sudden drop in temperature you have found the top of the layer. Knowing its depth eliminates all water deeper than that. I'd fish wherever the top of the thermocline meets bottom. For instance, if the top of it is at 30 feet, then fish at or a little above the 30 foot contour, then work slowly shallower.

Jim