Sign in to follow this  
galv

Any tips for unhooking fish?

i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to getting fish off but i'm always looking for tips from more experienced anglers.

mainly gut hooks but another example earlier this year i nailed one of my biggest fish 5lb 130z with a really solid hookset burying the hook in the top of her mouth all through that fleshy part and out the top.  this thing just wouldn't come out.  i forgot to bring my pliers but i'm not sure they would have made much difference.  i was just ripping away trying to get it out until my hand was bleeding.  naturally during this my fishing partner is trash talking calling me a pansy and what not.  same thing i'd do to him.  so after about a minute with no success i dumped the fish back into the water then let him have a shot at it.  after a minute or two he finally managed to get the hook free doing the same thing i was.

unless i'm lucky enough to catch an 8-10lber which would have a good chance of being the yearly state record, i'd like to get the fish back into the water as quickly as possible and give someone else a chance at catching it again  :)

When I land a bigger fish like the one you mentioned and its hooked as good as the one you caught , I'll cut the barb from the hook and slide it on out. Less trauma for the fish.

When I land a bigger fish like the one you mentioned and its hooked as good as the one you caught , I'll cut the barb from the hook and slide it on out. Less trauma for the fish.

I do that alot with treble hooks. One time i had both hooks with all 3 barbs in the fishes mouth and it was locked shut because of that.I had to cut the hooks with a wire cuter, bend the barbs and remove that. That was a 3 doller crankbait so I did not care much. Anyways it gave me an excuse to go buy more tackle :)

But its pretty simple. Just twist the hook it came out and just play with it. If worse comes to worse close the barbs with pliers and put a new hook on.