Sign in to follow this  
bass ackwards

do lights at night spook lmb

hi ya'll!!!! been reading on another thread and they mentioned black lights at night. my ? is how do i hook that on my boat (position) and do other types of lights spook bass?  thnx ba

Guest the_muddy_man

I fish this one place that has quite a few lit up docks hat hold fish at night The way the locals explained it to me The Lights draw bugs the bugs draw small fish the small fish draw Bass Dont know if thats why those docks produce at night more than the unlit ones but it makes sense.

yea they get use to a stationary light im sure but i was wondering about a head  lamp etc. i would love to leave my head lamp on all night but worry it might be spooking them by movement and such.

I turn off my lights when fishing shallow areas as I believe that lights on my boat and on my head if shinning into the water do indeed spook bass. I really try not to shine lights into the water if I intend to fish that area. My head lamp has a red light which I try to use as it is less intrusive.

When I hook a fish I just turn it on while I am fighting the fish. Main reason I do that is because here in Florida you never know what you might have on. Bass, Mudfish, Pickeral, Gar, baby gator so I try to see what it is before I lip it :)

I wouldn't recommend keeping your headlamp on and it's not necessarily because of any possible effect it might have on fish in the water. Keeping a light on will prevent your eyes from really getting adjusted to the dark. If you give your eyes the time adjust, you will see more than you think, especially if there's any moonlight or other ambient light at all that the water will reflect back to you. Have you ever sat by a campfire or a lantern and then walked away from it not able to see a thing in the dark? It's a similar phenomenon. Your eyes adjust to the light, and when you try to look away or beyond it, your ability to see in the dark is impaired. Even when I'm camping, I try to use a flashlight or headlamp as little as possible; I think you actually end up seeing more that way.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I'm inclined to take the side that bright white light affects us more than fish. I leave my aft nav light on all night as required by law, which doesn't put me at a disadvantage with guys running dark. I put a transparent yellow plastic bottle over the aft light to cut down on drawing insects, removing it to cruise across the lake.

UV light helps a lot for general visibility like when landing a fish, but doesn't kill night vision. I've been a line-watcher for decades, seeing bites before felt, and want that advantage at night, so keep the UV going pretty often unless there's an aggressive topwater bite without using flourescent line. Turning the UV off leaves me adjusted to night vision. Some boater shining his 3 million candle spot on me definitely ruins it a while, like when kids are passing on a houseboat lighting up anything they can find. The red light on a second headlamp is fine for tying knots. It and the UV don't attract insects.

There are some guys around here experimenting with submersible green lights that apparently attract fish of all kinds, offsetting any spooking from white flashlights and headlamps. It's improving crappie fishing a lot. I'm thinking about buying the real thing. Their's are home-made and bothersome to keep working. There's something very good about bright green light under water, worth looking into.

Jim