Sign in to follow this  
lovecranking

Has something like happened to you?

I was fishing at night on one of my favorite lakes in southern Wisconsin about 2 wks ago by myself. I figured I'd start with topwater since it was about 7:30 pm and I saw birds circling around. I threw out my Sammy 100 (ghost minnow) and watched this one bird circle down towards the water. I thought it would be neat to see it take a fish from the water when the bird took my lure & started flying away. I was thinking here goes $15. I gave the line a twitch & the bird dropped it. I was out with my buddy the other night, telling him the story when it happened again. It was about the same time of evening, same lure & actually the same spot where it happened the week before. I was glad my buddy was there the 2nd time because I don't think he would have beleived me. I'm interested to see if anyone else has ever had something like this happen to them?

Not exactly the same thing has happened to me but close

First time:

I was fishing a lake in Alaska with a Panther Martin spinner. Had about 4 real nice trout on a stringer,held in the ground by a rock .  I was standing abour 15 feet away from my stringer.Saw a Bald Eagle circling overhead and was just in awe,I never saw one in the wild before. Suddenly it dives at my stringer, rips it up out of the ground and flys away with my stringer,fish and all.

Second time:

Same lake as the first one. I was fishing for Trout on the bottom with my kids. Id set the hook and they would reel em in. All was well,I hooked a dinky trout and gave my daughter the pole. Had a good bend in the tip and suddenly it doubled over(ultralight). My daughter freaked and handed me the rod. I started fighting the fish when suddenly a LOON surfaces and just goes nuts. Luckily the hook came out and the bird went on its merry way. Seems that Loon liked the Trout my daughter was reeling in.

Third time:

Was at a different lake in Alaska fishing for Trout and knew there were some real nice ones in there. All the Trout seemed to be feeding on the surface so I cast out a hook baited with Powerbait (no weight). A duckling casually goes over and picks up my floating Powerbait . I tried to pull it away just before the duck grabbed it. I wasnt fast enough ,I never thought it would take my bait. Ducks normally see line in the water and steer clear. So heres this duckling raising a ruckus as im trying to get it to calm down and remove the hook. Momma duck heard all this and shoots over from the other side of the lake and just hammers my feet with her bill . It was all so crazy. I hastily cut the line as close as I could to the hook and away they both went.

ONLY IN ALASKA!!!!!

Well, this didn't happen to me, but it happened to my dad.  He was using a heddon tiny torpedo, just casting off the bank.  Then, one of those stupid seagulls swoops down and takes it.  I was on another bank when it happened so I really didn't see it, but he told me that the bird flew up about 15 ft until he twitched it out of his mouth.  Luckily he didn't get snagged, haha.

Fishinaz, a bird caught subsurface, sounds awesome!  haha.

Colin

I've been seagull fishing with a white Super Fluke many times. I never have been able to hook one though.

I have had seagulls on several occasions take a topwater bait I was fishing with if its easy pray for fish its easy pray for birds as well.

this is the second time ive told this storyin as many days on this board but ive seen a seagull caught off of a pier.  put up a hell of a fight. an oldtimer handled it like he saw this everyday.

So far I've caught countless seagulls, 1 duck, 2 pelicans (fla),a muskrat,and was on board when Dirk hooked into a huge Doe. (long story)

It happens. Last time fishing with Redtail up in Mass, we had an owl trying to add himself to the list. Luckily, He wasn't successful.

In RI, BTW, we call those seagulls "white kites" once they are hooked.  Even though they are considered "rats with wings", there is a $500 fine for killing one.  

One thing I learned after hooking my first bird was how incredibly "light" they are.  Pretty cool.  Now alot of that discovery channel stuff makes sense.

I've had a few close calls but fortunately I've never hooked a bird, thats the last thing I want to deal with, not to mention the heafty fines. Under the "migratory bird act" it is illegal to kill any native -non-game species of bird.

Over the years...

A BAT on a popping bug while flyfishing for bluegill. Somehow freed the bat without him turning into Dracula.

More than enough seagulls. Got beaten up pretty well in the course of release.

One Great Blue Heron...DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

A couple of water snakes, including a cottonmouth.

Many large bullfrawgs= YUM! (Sorta on purpose.)

Re: Great Blue Herons...These are dangerous critters. If you must handle one be certain to wear protective eyewear and other protective gear.

Why the eyewear? Well, if a GBH feels threatened, he goes for the "predator's" eyes. One stab with that long rapier bill=one empty eye socket.

Sad story...A few years ago I was night fishing off a low pier at Rockport TX. Each pier along Water St. seems to have a resident GBH that hangs out, hoping someone will toss him an undersized or otherwise undesirable fish.

"Old Beaky", the Heron-in-Residence on this particular pier, ate 7 11-13" seatrout in one sitting, courtesy of yours truly, one warm night.

Anyway, as I was happily angling, a young couple with a 4 year-old daughter wandered out onto the pier. They stopped to watch me fish and when I landed yet another undersize trout the father asked if he could take it to see if his daughter would actually hold it in her hands. She did, and they wandered further out on the pier with the little tyke beaming as she clutched the now-defunct fish in her grubby lil' paws.

A few moments later I heard screams and cries for help. I and a couple of other  anglers dropped our rods and sprinted to the end of the pier. What we discovered was pure tragedy.

Seems "Old Beaky" had noted the fish in the tot's hands. He approached to within perhaps ten feet, hoping for a freeby. The little girl tossed the fish to a spot equidistant between herself and "OB". As he cautiously approached the fish she went toward him, apparently intending to pick up the fish and try to hand-feed him...NEVER!..."OB", startled, did what GBH's do and speared the child's right eye. One innocent child now blind in one eye. One GBH cursed as he flew off, minus fish, all because of an innocent attempt at kindness and a bird's equally innocent attempt at self-defense.

Later that early AM, when I was the lone ranger on the pier, OB reappeared. I fed him another fish and told him I understood but that he'd done a bad thing. He "told" me, somehow, he was sorry. I believe he meant that, BTW.

FlyRod