Sign in to follow this  
Brian_Reeves

Crayfish colors

Anyone know where I can go to find out the colors of crayfish living in my area?  I'm in central texas but don't have the time to go and start turning over rocks before a fishing trip.  I've been using watermelonseed as my go-to color, but I wanna throw a change up and see what happens with something a little more crayfishy.  Thanks for the help.

There really easy to find. You can also do a search online for Craws in Texas, im sure all craw colors would work as ive used them all and they have produced aside from the albino craw. Dont forget they change the way they look in simple things such as water depth, weather conditions, etc. They all produce. I have a couple different craws that all have worked.. usually in spring but ive gotten hits on mornings in the summer.

It was really easy for me to find out the color.  I work at a nature center at Stoney Creek Metro Park which has a big lake in it.  One of the tanks at the nature center has bluegill and some crayfish, so I found out there.  Also, my mom caught a crayfish so that worked too, haha.

If you have any of these state parks with nature centers in it, you could maybe go and check it out and ask someone who works there about the crayfish color.  Searching online like Gameover said would work too.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Colin

On Toledo Bend, your liable to see a bunch of different colored crawdads.  

In Central Tx, you have Travis which is just a dammed river which has rock basin and clear water most of the year.   As you head up Lake Travis and get more into the River its self, you will find darker colors.

Crawfish adapt to surroundings, if clear water, go with the lighter colors.

Shades of green?    Green pumpkin, watermelon, gourd green, all three colors of green, one being more translucent than the next, and manufactures colors will vary.  AS do the color specks.....ie green fleck, blue, purple, gold flake.

If fishing deep grass or under mats, black and blue is hard to beat.

What lake?

Crayfish and small minnows tend to turn to the color of the sorroundings and the bottom so try to choose something that closely matches the bottom that you are fishing

Also crayfish change color depending on what season it is so you could do some online research to see if any colleges in the area have done any research on them

Ditto the above posts.  I don't think you can say..."central Texas craws are orange and black" it depends on their surrondings.  

If you can't catch any (out of the lake and area you want to fish) then I would go off the bottom color.

FYI- we used to catch craws all the time.  Take a chicken neck or any meat that will hold together and throw it out in a likely area.  Come back in an hour or three and slowly pull it up.  There should be some specimans hanging on.  

Good luck

Shades of green pumkins, or in the heavy grass, blk/blue.

I have seen reddish purple craws in the rocks lower Travis only to see bright reds 5 miles up lake on the clay banks and rocks.

Still house has always been good to me on pumpkin green jigs.

Try Fletchero, he lives in that area and fishes Belton alot.